Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

HELP PLEASE! 96' SLT 780 won't turn over

I have had this pwc for about 4 years now and have not had any trouble with it. Getting it ready for the summer season I installed new battery. Now it will not turn over. Try to start it and it just clicks. Motor is not locked up as you can turn it by hand. Sounds like "clicking" is coming from the starter. What is the best way to test if starter is bad without actually taking exhaust out or could it be something else causing the problem. Thanks for any help. I have just started attempting repairs myself without taking it to a dealer and could use any advice

+1
    WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!
    Did you charge the battery before you installed it?
    Are the connections clean and tight at the battery terminals?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome too,Check what AL said,that's the first place to start.We'll walk you thru anything up need to do.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Usually it's the solenoid that clicks inside the elec box. Try bypassing it with 12v straight to the starter.

If the starter is clicking, it may be bad. Try smacking it with a hammer while someone pushes the start button. See if that frees it up.

Other possibility of starter clicking may be the bendix is frozen.

Let us know what you find.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cnicholas View Post
    I have had this pwc for about 4 years now and have not had any trouble with it.
    Getting it ready for the summer season I installed new battery. Now it will not turn over.
    Try to start it and it just clicks.
    Motor is not locked up as you can turn it by hand. Sounds like "clicking" is coming from the starter.
    What is the best way to test if starter is bad without actually taking exhaust out or could it be something else causing the problem. Thanks for any help.
    I have just started attempting repairs myself without taking it to a dealer and could use any advice
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Also check the ground connection at the engine block for corrosion or looseness, from the battery negative.

Do you have a multi-meter for electrical testing?

I do have a multi-meter for electrical testing. I test that this evening and let you know what I find. Thanks again

I unbolted the electric box but havent opened it yet. There is a reset button on the front of the box. Does anyone know what it does? When you try to start the motor, the voltage drops to 6 volts and if you hold the start button in, the 6 volt reading stays constant until you release it and the battery's voltage returns to around 12.7 volts.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like the battery doesn't pass the load test.

Try a new battery

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cnicholas View Post
    I unbolted the electric box but haven't opened it yet.
    There is a reset button on the front of the box. Does anyone know what it does?

When you try to start the motor, the voltage drops to 6 volts and if you hold the start button in, the 6 volt reading stays constant until you release it and the battery's voltage returns to around 12.7 volts.
    It does sound like the battery is not producing the power needed. During cranking, the voltage from the battery needs to stay above 10.5 volts, minimum. The more above 10.5 volts, the better.

If the battery cable connections are solid, and you have been trying to charge the battery, then it is time for a new good quality battery.

I like the AGM battery type. Reliable, non-spillable, and AGM batteries can put up with abuse much better than the regular lead-acid batteries.

The Reset button is a circuit breaker. If there was a short or overload in the 12 volt electrical system, the breaker button would pop out, and cut the power to the PWC.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Usually it's the solenoid that clicks inside the elec box. Try bypassing it with 12v straight to the starter.

If the starter is clicking, it may be bad. Try smacking it with a hammer while someone pushes the start button. See if that frees it up.

Other possibility of starter clicking may be the bendix is frozen.

Let us know what you find.
    How do you bypass the solenoid? I put in a new starter and it still makes the same clicking sound. My only fear is when I tried to test the old starter with 12 gauge wire it fried the aligator clamps that I was using to hook up the starter to the battery.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information