Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Newbie needs help with 07 RXT

Hello,

I just bought my first PWC. I bought an 07 RXT with 14 hrs on it. I took it to the lake today and it runs great. I did notice that I could only get it up to about 54 mph. At 54 mph it is at 6420. That is all I can get out of it. This is the first fast Seadoo I have ever rode so I have nothing to compare it to. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Robbie
    Last edited by RobbieMWD; 05-19-2008 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Needed to change title

I hate things that don't work! SearayEX12's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieMWD View Post
    Hello,

I just bought my first PWC. I bought an 07 RXT with 14 hrs on it. I took it to the lake today and it runs great. I did notice that I could only get it up to about 54 mph. At 54 mph it is at 6420. That is all I can get out of it. This is the first fast Seadoo I have ever rode so I have nothing to compare it to. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Robbie
    It could be two things. You'll want it to be the first. One could be that it is running on the rental key, the dealer may have programmed the key to run this way. The second and worst scenario is the supercharger washers have blown. When going in idle can you hear the supercharger if you give the throttle a rev. Also if you take off the intake hose for the supercharger you should not be able to spin the supercharger shaft.

+1
    You may want to read this to see if any of it sounds like what you ski is doing.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19887

But it does sound like supercharger problems at that RPM and speed.

Thanks for the quick reply. I pulled the hose off the supercharger and I can spin the impeller. When I took it out of the water it was still running good. Is there still a chance that the motor can be damaged? Since it is an 07 and I'm the second owner... Can I still purchase the extended warranty? If so do you recommend any where to purchase it?

Thanks,
    Robbie

+1
    Sounds like the ceramic washers are gone in the clutch assembly.

This quote from the link that I posted pretty much sums it up on what needs to be done for the proper repair.

quote> WHAT HAPPENS IF/WHEN YOUR SC FAILS
    Your supercharger can be slipping slip causing a drop in boost pressure and performance… This is the best case scenario as you caught it before it released the clutch pieces into the engine.

You supercharger can let go whether it be a bearing failure or a ceramic washer failure. In this case, the parts list ALONE can be close to $2000 dollars. When these components fail, the ceramic pieces go through the motor and destroy your oil pumps, covers, you need a new rebuild kit, and in some cases your SC impeller gets destroyed as well as the housing. In addition, the motor needs to be removed to find all the pieces and properly clean out the oil passages and screens.

If your motor is not properly repaired or cleaned out, you will slowly starve the motor’s internals of oil and risk throwing a rod through the side of your engine which is a disastrous repair bill.>end quote

There have been a few people attempt to clean out the PTO cover and not remove the engine for the required cleaning, I am yet to hear of this working. Did you purchase from a dealership or individual ?

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieMWD View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I pulled the hose off the supercharger and I can spin the impeller. When I took it out of the water it was still running good. Is there still a chance that the motor can be damaged? Since it is an 07 and I'm the second owner... Can I still purchase the extended warranty? If so do you recommend any where to purchase it?

Thanks,
    Robbie

I purchased it from a dealership. They sell other brands of skis new but not Seadoos.

+1
    So did they sell it as is or offer some type of warranty ? I am not sure how the SD warranty is to the second owner. I purchased mine new last year and it has never been back to them. You may get additional response on the warranty questions in the morning, there are a few SD techs on the board that would be able to tell you where you stand.

Myself, I would call a dealer and ask "IF" I was to purchase a used '07 SD, would any of the original warranty still be valid. I would try my luck with that and or, perhaps ask if the extended warranty would be available to the second owner.

If I struck out with the Sea Doo route I would contact the dealer you purchased it from. Hopefully if nothing else they will make it right or, better yet let you return it for a refund if need be. Because someone is going to be out some $$$$ to get this fixed correctly, if not it is only a matter of time till the motor will let go.
    Last edited by DaveC; 05-19-2008 at 01:51 AM.

The dealer where I purchased it did offer me some type of extended warranty... like 2 years for $895 but I declined. I hope I can get either them to repair it or get it fixed under Seadoo's warranty.. I would be more than happy to purchase an extended warranty through Seadoo. I am just skeptical of a third party warranty. I really just want it fixed, I don't really want my money back.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    It may still be under the one year warranty or maybe the original owner got the extended warranty. Take it to the SD dealer immediatley and have them run the VIN. The warranty is on the ski not the owner, it automatically transfers to the new owner. If it is out of warranty hope you got a good deal on it. More than likely the first owner traded it in with no washers or someone at the dealership wrecked them playing around. Either way it has probably been ran several hours with this problem. The engine will have to be cleaned out and oil pumps replaced or down the road you WILL HAVE ENGINE FAILURE.

Thanks for all the input. I called a Seadoo dealer and gave them my vin number and I have 3 days left on my 1 year warranty. I am going to buy the B.E.S.T. extended warranty. The guy I spoke with at the dealer said the warranty dosen't cover washer/bearing supercharger failures. He said it is caused by abuse. He also said since the motor will still turn to 6500 rpm that the bearing are still intact, just the washers are slipping. I am sorry I'm such a NOOB, I have learned a ton in the last week and I will continue to learn more about the Seadoo's. Even with these problems, I'm still am happy with my purchase, I just need to do some maintance.

Thanks,
    Robbie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information