Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bad XS Power Intercooler

Has anyone had a XS Power Intercooler fail? I have one motor that is down on RPM's by about 200. I checked the SC clutch and its fine about 70 inch pounds. I was going to check the intercooler plumbing and when I did there is milky oil in the intercooler. I had the oil breather hooked up to my 3" intake system but just removed it when I went the 4" intake. I did a half ass pressure check by plugging one end of the intercooler and filled it with water then put about 15 lbs of air on it as best I could. I didn't see it pissing but it was not the prosiest check. Need to rig something better. Has anyone tested a cooler before? Any ideas guy's it may be a bad tac so once I check the IC out I'll test it with a hand held tac. Also both wear rings are new Skat SS rings.

+1
    I liked Jerry's idea on intercooler cleaning- put some gas in there and let it sit awhile, maybe swish it around a little- then dump it out. That would take the film off- start there.

As far as testing it goes- it sounds like your method would work. I don't know what a safe psi to put it under would be though- be careful...

Guy's do you think it would be possible to lose 200 rpm's if the IC is dirty with milky oil? I did try to shoot it with Carb cleaner then let it drain and tried that but no luck.

+1
    Just guessing; but I would say, yes- it's possible.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    you definitely could lose air flow, power, and RPMS from a filthy oil coated intercooler. i pressure tested my XS intercooler, and i believe kinchyle did also. and before i bought mine, i asked of the seller pressure tested them and he "claimed" they were tested up to 30 or 35 psi or something....

i'd say clean it out using the gasoline swishing method first, make sure ur oil levels are good, briefly pressure test the IC with minimum pressure so u dont cause damage... and put it back together and see what happens.

also consider this... if one hard object passed thru the pump, your SS wear ring will last a bit longer and not show damage, but maybe one of your prop blades got kicked jsut the slightest slightest possible bit. that could be 200 rpms right there also.

so many things that can contribute... nice and frustrating

Yeah I checked the IC before I put it in up to about 20 pounds and it was fine. But after seeing the milk in it I wasn't really sure what was going on. I'm going to pressure check it today and then let it soak with some gas in it. On all the connections I used the SS band clamps with a 5/16 bolt for high pressure turbo boost so I don't think I have a boost leak but who knows. I may be chasing nothing. The first time I noticed it was just after I put my re pitched impellers back on. I had sent them to Skat and had them put 1.5 degrees back in the impellers. I would think they would really check them well so they both would be the same. But I guess I could have one off a little. (That would suck) But for now I'll check the cooler then put it back together and test it with separate tac to make sure.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    and a silly thing to check, but maybe worth it.... make sure your throttle cable is fully opening at wide open throttle

Thanks Shib. I'm going to press test the IC today. I'm starting to think it may be a bad repitch on one impeller.

Well I pressure tested the IC with 17 PSI with soapy water in it and did it for 10 minutes and no leaks. So the only thing I can point to is one impeller is different from the other. I'll put it all back together tonight and water test it tomorrow with a external tac to check that and then if that checks out its a re pitch for me.

+1
    Just to be safe, buy a Comp. gauge and check that motors comp. in all 3 cylinders. This will rule out the motor and you will feel safe water from the IC didn't score it!!!!
    DO it and be at ease..

Oh somefun. I read in another post you readjusted your throttle cable. Did you do it at the TB? If so this could be your probalem. Never adjust it there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information