Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

so could you take a ski through a lock?

this might seem like a stupid question but could you take a jetski through a lock. i live by the Mohawk river and there are quit a lot of locks on it and the stretches are sorta short unless you go through a lock. they sell seasonal lock passes for 25 bucks for boats under 16 feet. but i dont even know if i could take the ski through the locks.

have any of you guys ever taken a ski through a lock?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray152003 View Post
    this might seem like a stupid question but could you take a jetski through a lock. i live by the Mohawk river and there are quit a lot of locks on it and the stretches are sorta short unless you go through a lock. they sell seasonal lock passes for 25 bucks for boats under 16 feet. but i dont even know if i could take the ski through the locks.

You sure can. Its really neat also. The one's I have been through they drop a line to secure..Go for it...

+1
    cool thanks

+1
    around here they won't lock you thru unless there is other boat traffic at the same time.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoad View Post
    around here they won't lock you thru unless there is other boat traffic at the same time.
    yah i thought the same thing i wouldn't have a problem with that there is a lot of traffic.

+1
    Do it and post pictures.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I have been through the locks here in Tennessee quite a few times, the first couple of times are fun, then after that its like "hurry up its hot and smelly in here", and the walls are slimy, and its free of charge here.....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray152003 View Post
    ...could you take a jetski through a lock. I live by the Mohawk river and there are quit a lot of locks on it and the stretches are sorta short unless you go through a lock. they sell seasonal lock passes for 25 bucks for boats under 16 feet. but i don't even know if i could take the ski through the locks.

Go watch how the smaller boats handle the locks.

Plan for how you will manage the ropes and such during the locking. Carry some gloves.

The lock walls can be slimy/dirty, as can the vertical ropes that guide you up/down.

Ask the lock staff if they have any tips for smaller craft.

Be aware that when the lock is filling/rising, there can be significant water turbulence and current flow from the volume of water rushing into the bottom of the lock chamber. This can bump you around if you are not watching for it. It varies from lock to lock.

When the lock water level is lowering, the turbulence is usually not so bad, inside the lock.
    Last edited by K447; 05-20-2008 at 10:05 AM.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    how big of a drop/rise are the locks u guys are passing thru?

i've been thru a set of locks a few times with my ski, it's free, i never tie up, i kinda just float in there and wait... or feather it around in forward and reverse.

but these are tidal locks bc on long island the east end forks apart and you have all different tide zones, and there's a window twice a day where the opposite sides are close enough and they let the gates stay open and all holy hell breaks loose for that hour or so due to the currents and boats just out of control from the water ccurrent ripping thru the locks.

curious on what kind of locks u guys have and how much of a drop/rise it is to the other side

+1
    ill run down there today and take some pictures of the locks so you can see shibby

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information