Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

To Grate or Not to Grate

I've been doing a lot of research on this site and my grate question has nothing to do with performance. I've noticed the same problems coming up over and over when it comes to installing an aftermarket grate. These are the following.
    1. Breaking bolts during install and removal
    2. Bolts loosening up and dissapearing
    3. Grate being ripped off
    I have a new RIVA that I would like to put on but now I am spooked. I would hate to ruin my brand new machine over something stupid. Is there a common theme to most of these problems. I know about heating the bolts and using blue loc-tite. Anything else I am missing.

mark

Go for the Riva grate just be careful with the bolts, there was way too much loctite on one of mine and the bolt just snapped. Just heat them up before and you shouldn't have a problem. I'm still in the process of removing the rest of the bolt it shouldn't be a problem to get out though. The grate is worth the trouble.

I have a stock one on my ski ... I gpsed last yr and again this yr the riva grate is a total waste of money I actually lost 1 mph or calm flat water .. the stoc grate is more then sufficient

+1
    Definately go for the RIVA grate. I have always been a firm believer in the stock grate for top speed but I back to back tested them and I didnt loose even 1 tenth of a mph on glass but I gained hook up in the rough water so that made it fater in the rough. Just make sure you loctite the bolts when you put it in and check them often or you will have a big suprise one day as i found out but all in all I am sold and would not go back to stock for anything!!!

I installed the Riva and have actually lost 1-2Mph on glass. However in chop I seem to be hooked better, and since I rarely ride on glass I may just leave te Riva grate on. If you often run on glass, I'd say the Riva grate is a waste of money...IMO

+1
    North49 which prop are you running The stock prop or a after market??

+1
    how do these loose mph? I thought they were supposed to increase it, and the riva was the best for top speed?

+1
    I think you need a prop re-pitch after adding the Riva grate...

+1
    Back when i was running 77 mph i thought that maybe i was losing speed with the Riva grate so i bolted up a stock grate and went for a ride. I lost 3.7 mph. I figured something cant be right so i immediately went to the landing and reinstalled the Riva grate. 20 minutes later i was on the water and my 4 mph loss came back. (glass water) To this day i cant explain the speed loss. I theorize that perhaps at those speeds the pump is getting stuffed and the wider bars and larger surface area of the Riva grate reduces overstuff and allows for faster speeds. Who knows? All i know is the Riva grate is back on my ski and its not coming off

[quote="North49"]I installed the Riva and have actually lost 1-2Mph on glass.]

Did you try both grates under the same conditions? Same air temp, same water temp, same wind and glass water? Did you also try it right off the bat when you got out? Without an aftermarket intercooler i lose 2 mph after running for a while, whether i used the riva grate or the stock grate. IMO every condition has to be close to the same to get an accurate reading.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information