Thread: Racing Practice

Racing Practice

How do you guys train/practice for CC racing on the water?

+1
    find very rough water and ride.....rougher the better. 8 minute motos and keep it pined alot.

Riding a bike and walking can help. Endurance is key. But riding is the best but most exspensive. But consider a gym membership.. ALthough that 250X sucks fuel in a bad way...

I've got the Gym part down... Just don't know how to train on the water. Get some buoys?

+1
    Dont really need bouys but admit it's funnier. just run like a slomon and turn around and go back thru repeatedly. that way the water gets rougher.

If you can get people to ride with you the water gets rough quick even with just one other ski. Play follow the leader thru it and practice riding thru the wash and turning thru it then trade spots. But keep your track tight that way the water gets rough.

Hope this helps.

+1
    first off, always search for clean water in a race - if you try to race in jetwash you will go nowhere. try not to follow the riders' line that is in front of you - i usually try to come into the turn wide and exit real sharp like a car road course(grazing the bouy) when passing riders on the race course.

be aware this leaves the door open for another rider to pass you on the inside - so it will take time for you to learn the best passing method.

whatever you do, do not come barreling full tilt into the turn trying to turn inside of another rider - with no option except to t-bone them if you can't turn around the bouy instantly. a racer tried this on me last weekend. luckly i carried enough speed into the turn, so he wound up only hitting the back of the xpl i was racing. i gave him an ear full after the moto was over - even though there was no damage and i still won the moto.

the absolute best way to train is to purchase a standup and ride it hard around a bouy course. set the course up like a real course - not just a straight line of bouys. the bouys are $9 from overtons.com

i reccomend a old 1990's superjet - prob around $1500 to buy. slap some umi handlebars, rear sponsons, scoop grate and aftermarket ride plate on it and go crazy.

that is the best workout you will get - and when you race your runabout it will be 100 times easier. i can only ride my sx-r at race speed for about 4 laps - but i can run a 8-10 lap moto in expert 1200 at full race speed the whole time.

if you do not have a stand up, then set up a bouy course for the runabout - usually 7 or 8 bouys will do just fine. we use 1' long pieces of pipe filled with concrete for anchors. some people use old window sash weights as bouy anchors. we usually run as many laps as we can untill i feel like i will get ejected in a turn from being tired (about 15 min).

make sure you are aware the rider in front of you can spin out. have fun!

thanks for the tips bro!

+1
    I wasnt saying you always ride in the wash but this is what you will come across most of the time if you have to take up another rider in front of you. The only time you see clear and good clean water is the first lap and if you get the holeshot and if you do you have the best advantage.

But most of the time unless you know you have the fastest stuff and can ride it you will be riding in someones wash at one point or another and if you can blow through it with out it giving you issues then you have a better chance of overtaking the other rider. Bascically out riding them.

The way I said is really just a way to practice and get used to what you will have to over come anyway. But at all costs avoid wash when ever possible.

Also the standup is a great way for trainning and building endurance but you still have to ride your ski of course that way you can ride it to it's full potential.

Whatever the condtions. Because anyone can ride smooth water. Well almost....

Anyway riding anything is better than nothing at all...but endurance is still key. No matter what you ride

Thread Information