R&D kit installed and still lots of GIO!!

I only have 15 hours on the ski and have already changed the oil twice and removed oil in between changes. Had major GIO from the beginning.
    Over the winter I did the following:
    1) Installed R&D crankcase ventilation kit (used both hoses for better ventilation)
    2) Cleaned silicone from crankcase tube (20% blocked)
    3) Cleaned up crankcase vent machining flaw.
    4) Did leakdown test on all cylinders and they were around 6% each.

I had it out about three times so far this summer and burned about a half tank of gas each time. I checked oil after each ride and oil still rising. After a tank and a half of gas I already had to remove almost a full litre of oil (and gas) from the beast.

I removed the R&D catch can and turned it upside down. I emptied about 4-5 ounces of gas from the cach can.

I'm thinking of removing the drain back to the oil pan and just draining the catch can every so often but I don't know what negative effects this will have (if any). I don't have a dealer nearby and I'm going on a 800 mile trip down the Atlantic coast in July. Any ideas??? Anyone figure out exactly how to get rid of the GIO. It has to be blow-by around the rings since I pretty much eliminated everything else!!

I would take anything off thats draining to the pan. Id also take off the breather box that comes directly off the engine case and put the 08 setup on there. Thats just what I would try. I think the breather box still drains gas back into the pan.

kman, r u having 07 or 08?

hotrodder, I just spent almost $400 for the R&D breather kit which adds a piece to the breather box. Don't want to remove the box but if this is where some gas is draining back then I'll try it later and remove it if it's part of the problem.

Sportman, It's a 2007

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    hotrodder, I just spent almost $400 for the R&D breather kit which adds a piece to the breather box. Don't want to remove the box but if this is where some gas is draining back then I'll try it later and remove it if it's part of the problem.

Sportman, It's a 2007
    Its not in your breather. It would take a lot of liquid to get above the fitting and drain back to the pan.

2nd-raise your hose from the catch can going back to the pan. I did this and just checked yesterday. I had a small amount of liquid collected. It felt more like water than anything else. I will know more with more riding time.

3rd-AT first glance if the difference between 08 and 07 is nothing more than removal of the breather box and a slightly larger fitting to the pan then I expect to start hearing more reports of 08s with GIO.

Jason

+1
    Also, I forgot to mention lower the front of the ski as much as possible when sucking out the oil. It made a huge difference on my ski.

kman, just wondering..do you do any excessive idling?..ie. no wake zones, etc.

No there are none of those zones in this area. My ski hardly ever idles except when just starting out. If I'm stopped anywhere for any amount of time I usually shut it off.

I want to block off the drain from the catch can to the oil pan and just drain the catch can manually but I don't know if this will have any unwanted/negative effects!? Why did kawi drain this to the oil pan?

They must have hung around the same guys that gobbed all the silicone on the ski.

Thread Information