Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bored huh, well help me out! :) 701 problem

dont really want to tell you the ski but i got a 61x that doesn't want to run full out. Feels like its running about 75% of what it suppose to. Short story of what happend.
    took it to the salt water to play but had to ride in some water subdivision and idled for a long time (1-2 miles) when i hit the end i got on it and it ran like a champ for about 10 minutes then i felt the rpms dropping and then it seemed like it would only run about 5k which is still more then enough to run my little ski. I just rebuilt the motor about 6 tanks of gas or so ago. Compression is 162 162 on a stock head. carb is clean and tank is clean.

Cylinders are luke warm after riding, I let it sit once and it ran good for about a minute then lost the top 2k rpms again...

I have heard alot of ideas from jets (i dont think jets because it ran AWESOME 2 weeks prior) I dont think bad gas(my other js had some water in the fuel water seperator but still ran like a champ and yeah i cleaned it out.

Oh yeah I blew a coupling off exhaust to while i was idleing back in but the clamp was prolly 15 years old. Its aftermarket exhaust by the way.

I am thinking carbon build up maybe? or a clogged waterbox(have had it happen but it was on those stupid trapp I mean supertrapp...) I got the carb in piece and all looks right in the world... Any ideas thoughts..I like problems the always present themselves with a different face.

Oh yeah i run premix 40-1

im sure you already checked buches of stuff... just a few hunches that are easy to over look... check your vent on the tank,it may have gone bad .. this would let you run full out fine for a short while , till it wouldnt let you pull any more fuel .. mud daubers have a way of finding just those little open ends too...also check to make sure fuel actually flows from the tank outlets.
    Did it make any difference switched to reserve? did you pop the fuel cap loose to try and vent it manually? as the cylinders were cool I'd say it wasnt the thermo-limiter as this would then let you run only 2500 or so.. How about a flywheel cracked? does this have the aluminum one on it?this would change your timeing but would still run.. your choke still installed ? is it set wide open ? could it have moved closed on you?.. I'd say try a proven cdi ( if you got a protec adjustable, check to see if its setable limiter move?)

hope these help!!

+1
    If you blew a coupling off your exhaust it was probably leaking smoke into the hull prior to it blowing off. This will hurt performance big time. After it sits the smoke clears and will run ok for a short time until the oxygen is overtaken by the smoke. Fix the exhaust and it should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    im sure you already checked buches of stuff... just a few hunches that are easy to over look... check your vent on the tank,it may have gone bad .. this would let you run full out fine for a short while , till it wouldnt let you pull any more fuel .. mud daubers have a way of finding just those little open ends too...also check to make sure fuel actually flows from the tank outlets.
    Did it make any difference switched to reserve? did you pop the fuel cap loose to try and vent it manually? as the cylinders were cool I'd say it wasnt the thermo-limiter as this would then let you run only 2500 or so.. How about a flywheel cracked? does this have the aluminum one on it?this would change your timeing but would still run.. your choke still installed ? is it set wide open ? could it have moved closed on you?.. I'd say try a proven cdi ( if you got a protec adjustable, check to see if its setable limiter move?)

hope these help!!
    Will check vent but it was pretty consistent they way it ran, just steady and 5k rpms. didnt check reserve but will do it next. Flywheel is stock. Choke is gone and I went to primer starts like a dream first crank every time. Got a stock 650 cdi I am will try after i lake test it to verify i havent fixed anything yet.

If you blew a coupling off your exhaust it was probably leaking smoke into the hull prior to it blowing off. This will hurt performance big time. After it sits the smoke clears and will run ok for a short time until the oxygen is overtaken by the smoke. Fix the exhaust and it should be ok.

I replaced the couplings on the headpipe and double checked on stinger one and took it back out and still acted the same, I stopped running it after about 8-10 minutes in case it was something more serious granted any problem is gonna get worse quick at 5k rpms. I fixed the exhaust the same day as it broke and tried it again and came home then did most of the above... Keep em coming

I seen you post up on the X. I live in Round Rock about 2 hours north of you if you want one weekend I can see if we can work on it I have the same name over on Xh20 PM me on that if you want

thanks for the offer, I am gonna try it on the water before i make the drive, I have changed alot of variable as of now and would like to try it out. I am out of town till next week and then i am in town for about 2 weeks and then i am gone for a month but will be back around the 4th of july. gettin hitched back home and it kinda has the entire month tied up

guys,

i did'nt see a mention of fitting new plugs.
    I would try new plugs,leads and coil as well as the CDI. you could eliminate the thermo-limiter by looping it out.

Quote Originally Posted by akatitan View Post
    guys,

i did'nt see a mention of fitting new plugs.
    I would try new plugs,leads and coil as well as the CDI. you could eliminate the thermo-limiter by looping it out.
    Dou forgot to mention another clue. I changed plugs after tank 4-5 to get a fresh set since I had been running rich for break in but when i did I went to br7's from br8's for some reason I thought my mech had told me he was running a hotter plug but I guess I was wrong so after it started running bad I traded plugs back to brand new br8's (the short ones) and there was still no change (I did this when i fixed the exhaust). I also installed a new oem coil pack 6 tanks ago when i rebuilt the motor.

cracked or broken reed mabey?

Interesting, will pull manifold before I reninstall carb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information