Thread: Race Gas

+1

Race Gas

What effect would running race gas have on a stock RXT?
    Thanks,
    Rob

+1
    The effect would be expensive exhaust.

+1
    My friend who wants to know races Ducati's on the weekends and is sponsered. He gets it for free.

+1
    If you mix 103 octane to 93 pump you will probably loose 100 RPM. It will be too rich. Unless you raise the compression etc.

It is actually more complicated. The main reason for higher octane fuels in these machines is to stave off detonation due to compression NOT because the fuel adds horespower. Many newer engines will indeed produce more HP on higher octane fuel, but that is mainly due to the ECU not retarding the timing, because detonation is not occuring with the proper octane fuel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Higher octane fuels are not better fuels. The have a higher flash point. The higher the octane the harder it is to ignite. What happens in high performance engines is that the tempuratures and compression are higher and this will cause lower octanes to ignite prematurely while the piston is still traveling upward on the compression stroke. Not only does this mean the pistons are fighting each other but more than normal heat is produced and on efi engines the engine is tuned down by the computer to deter this situation. Oh, and you can grenade the engine also. Use the recommended octane that the manufacturer calls for. This means 91 octane. Now if you mean race fuels as in alcohol or something else then these do have more potential energy per volume then gasoline. I wouldn't recommend these unless you have some serious cash to develop engines to handle these fuels.

There is another advantage to race gas or avaiation fuel if the 92 or 94 you are running has ethanol in it. Gas with ethanol has additives that spoil (go bad) in two weeks or so, even with gas stabilizers. If you use gas with ethanol and leave it in your engine for more than 2 weeks your asking for trouble. In a carbed machine it clogs up the idle jet with some waxy crap that won't blow out with air. When storing any of my toys I always drain the gas and put in 100 LL avaition fuel. This stuff can sit for a over year and not go bad. Also it smells sooooo good. I love the smell of racing gas in the morning.

Thread Information