Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Newbie's first ride.

Hello everyone,

First of all I want to thank everyone for their patience in answering my newbie questions.

We got the ski out on the lake for the very first time on Saturday. We weren't too sure we were going to be able to get it in the water as most of the lake bottom is soft. But we found a spot with a solid sandy bottom and used our Quad to get it in the water.

So we get it off the trailer and push it until the water is just above the knees. I hop on it and fire it up. Ease the ski to deeper water and then ease into the throttle. I warm it up for a few minutes and then I HAMMER it. WOW, Holy crap, HANG ON. I cannot believe the acceleration of this beast. Did I say WOW.

We did some high speed runs on the lake that day with the water like glass. My wife got 60 mph out of it. So I am wondering where the other 4 to 8 mph are. But that will be another discussion. Those high speed runs were a hoot. We commented on how we felt the skin on our faces was being pressed all over. Remember that movie with Dan Akroyd and Chevy Chase called Spies Like Us where they were in the centrifuge type thing and their faces were being distorted all over. That was us.

All I can say is Holy Crap... OK, I think I said that already. Enough babbling.

Cheers.

You need a gps to get real numbers, you can adjust the speedo by raising or lowering the speed wheel on the back bottom of the ski. The thing that spins.

Quote Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
    I cannot believe the acceleration of this beast.

Ah, the very reason most of us are here......a mean machine!

welcome to our world

Marc

You can adjust the 07 speed wheel? I didnt see no way to adjust it.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    There are 2 allen screws that hold the assembly to the hull, loosen them and slide the whole thing up(slower) or down(faster), slightest movment makes a big difference.........

+1
    I get it now. Even though my speedo said 60 mph, we likely were going faster or slower, perhaps with a significant difference in speed numbers, depending on the setting of the speed wheel.

The only way to be sure is to use a GPS and then tweak your speedo settings as described above. Cool.

I think I will either have to make my speed demon wife pay for the gas or stick in the SLO key when she isn't looking.

+1
    i thought speedos over read the correct mile per hour. maybe i am wrong. so if your speedo says 70, you are probably doing less. ultra 250 should be well above 60. was the water flat or where u bouncing all over the place. the only way to test mph is with a GPS.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
    I get it now. Even though my speedo said 60 mph, we likely were going faster or slower, perhaps with a significant difference in speed numbers, depending on the setting of the speed wheel.

The only way to be sure is to use a GPS and then tweak your speedo settings as described above. Cool.

I think I will either have to make my speed demon wife pay for the gas or stick in the SLO key when she isn't looking.
    Also dont panic when the fuel buzzer goes off, you still have at least 20 miles of fuel left, if you arent WOT...........Then R&D fuel extender helps out even more...........

+1
    i bought a garmin 201 forerunner for about 130 bucks, very accurate, honestly forget about the speedo, i dont think calibration either way is accurate imho

speedos are for your buddies or girlfriends who ride your ski and like to talk about how they were goin 75 when really they were going maybe 60

My speedometer is accurate until about 65mph. If your speedometer reads higher than that, you should check the GPS for your actual speed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information