Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Seriously Damaged Rxp Hull

During a run up the Clinch River at Norris Lake (TN.) last weekend I hit a submerged log (tree ?) The tree was about 18" under water and lake was about 4' below full pool. The 12" diam. tree was solid in the bottom of the river and up-ended ready to do it's dirty work. I must have been in a slight trough of the wake from the PWC's ahead of me when I came upon it.
    Didn't even see what I hit..... Cruising about 40mph, then CRACK !
    '06 RXP was thrown up in the bow, then the rear end was thrown up as the hull traveled over the blunt end of the trunk, almost threw me off but I held on only to slap back down onto the left footwell area. Hyperextended my leg muscle pretty bad.

After realizing my hull was no longer dry inside and slowly taking on water about as fast as the siphen tubes sucked it out I had about 20 miles to get back to the Marina. Got there without letting the water level in the hull get out of the lower V area of the bilge. Engine ran fine.....

On the trailer what I had was a direct hit on the center of the Keel starting under the center Fuel Tank area and running about 20" back dead center on the keel.

The Black Get Coat was cracked up and the underlying fiberglass was crushed. Although I could not see exactly where the water was coming into the Hull, it was definately being forced in though the damaged keel area, probably from under the Fuel Tank area inside.

Are these RXP Hulls "cored"

After sitting on the trailer for 2 days, it's still dripping water around the damaged keel area even though there is no water in the bilge.
    I'm thinking the "core material" (if it is cored) and fiberglass laminations had been saturated by the force fed incoming water during operation getting it back to the dock.

Can this damaged Keel area of the hull be repaired, or is the saturated interior lamination probably going to delaminate in the future because the fibreglass epoxy won't cure properly against the wet interior.

Is this a case for an Insurance "write off // salvage" ?

Is there an RXP-X in my future ?

+1
    It's done... Call insurance.

+1
    Sorry to Hear this.Sounds like an Insurance writeoff.would need to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by David_HX_RXP View Post
    probably from under the Fuel Tank area inside.

Are these RXP Hulls "cored"

Is this a case for an Insurance "write off // salvage" ?

Is there an RXP-X in my future ?
    It's all up to you David. An X would be nice Here's some pictures. maybe this can help you. There is strofoam in between the Hull. Fiberglass can be fixed. This is what I think that went after you hit the tree. After you hit the tree and realized what happen, You tried to get back to shore to save your ski. This is good because you did just that. Here's the scenario that was bad in a way but it's only water inside the inner inbetween hull and it will dry up if you follow what I did. The Scenario = As you where trying to save your ski you run towards the dock, remember that you have an open crack and water was being forced inside the inner inbetween hull. Now here's the kicker, the reason you see water inside the hull is because under the fuel tank, there is a rubber mat. Sea Doo put holes and a plastic cap to attached the mat so it won't move. The purpose of this mat is to cushion the plastic fuel tank from abrasion due to vibration. this is where the water is comming from. Right now you are holding water inside inbetween the Hull. here some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1004.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	705.1 KB 
ID:	73832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1005.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	611.3 KB 
ID:	73833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1021.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	534.6 KB 
ID:	73834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1018.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	496.6 KB 
ID:	73835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1022.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	600.7 KB 
ID:	73836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1020.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	529.6 KB 
ID:	73837  

Last edited by Jammer 1; 05-20-2008 at 02:30 AM.

+1
    monring Jammer well explained

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer 1 View Post
    It's all up to you David. An X would be nice Here's some pictures. maybe this can help you. There is strofoam in between the Hull. Fiberglass can be fixed. This is what I think that went after you hit the tree. After you hit the tree and realized what happen, You tried to get back to shore to save your ski. This is good because you did just that. Here's the scenario that was bad in a way but it's only water inside the inner inbetween hull and it will dry up if you follow what I did. The Scenario = As you where trying to save your ski you run towards the dock, remember that you have an open crack and water was being forced inside the inner inbetween hull. Now here's the kicker, the reason you see water inside the hull is because under the fuel tank, there is a rubber mat. Sea Doo put holes and a plastic cap to attached the mat so it won't move. The purpose of this mat is to cushion the plastic fuel tank from abrasion due to vibration. this is where the water is comming from. Right now you are holding water inside inbetween the Hull. here some pics
    I plug all the holes just in case this happens to me. I will not take water inside the hull engine compartment. It will stop inside the inner hull giving me a chance to stay afloat......to finish my Beer before I start screaming like a girl for help Ask if you need more info on how I dummy proof my hull

Quote Originally Posted by Top banana View Post
    monring Jammer well explained
    LOL, Morning Bro! Hey go to sleep.....past your bed time!

Banned User
    +1
    I have an extra 04 hull if you want to swap parts over...

+1
    Jammer is right, there is an inner and outer hull and the holes to attach the rubber mat under the gas tank will let water in between the hull layers. Check out this thread for a couple more pictures ...

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57370

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    Ouch at least youre not seriously injured. toys can be fixed or replaced.

I have an 05 hull for sale. check the classifieds. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46870

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information