Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cracked Head Twice!!!

I have a 1996 SLTX 1050 i just finished the rebuild on it. First time out in the water i get about 45min on the engine and then the number 3 cylinder blows out and melts the water cover. So i replaced the head and the cover with new. I put 3 more hours on the engine breakin period and then my number 1 Cylinder does the same things put a whole in the head and melts the water cover so i am beginning to wonder what is causing this is the head getting too hot not enough water. I have no idea at this point. Any help would be great. Thanks. Also if anybody has any of these laying around i am in need of one cant seem to find the part 3022034.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder head 001.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	73850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder head 002.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	255.9 KB 
ID:	73851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder head 003.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	277.4 KB 
ID:	73852  

+1
    Wow! Just guessing,but that large opening(cut out) I beleive should have " E X " moulded into it,That should point towards the exhaust.(the burn appears to be carb side of cover)It allows alot of water flow to the head.

The burnt head cover I never saw before,with the head o-ring blown out ,combustion will flow into the cover,but that seems excessive. ??
    Blocked exhaust??

Make sure the water inlet screen in the jet pump is not blocked.

+1
    That's awesome, I've never seen it before.
    My wild guess is the engine is overheating, the O ring is getting pushed out,melted or whatever and the expelled gasses from the cylinder are doing the rest of the damage to the dome and cover.

good point I may have accidently put the head on wrong I checked the middle head and it is correct I think I would have noticed the big e x on it but I may have been going to fast so I will try again I'm still looking for a head I can't seem to find one they are discotinued any help finding one would be great. Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Wow, major heat damage!

Are you SURE you have proper cooling water flow through the whole system, from jet pump water inlet to water bar exit?

When you get it back together, connect a garden hose to the water inlet hose (disconnect it from the jet pump nipple inside the hull, connect a 3/4" garden hose fitting). The run it on the hose, and ensure that you are getting proper water flow out the water exit from the water bar.

Engine start- then water on.
    Water off, THEN engine off.

And check the jet pump cooling water inlet for blockage.

when I run it on the hose everything seems to be fine. I guess I need to check the pickup to see if it is blocked. Should I remove the thermostat to get more flow I know that this shouldn't need to be done to get the ski to run right but maybe it will help this from happeing again I't makes for a long day out on the water broken waiting for a tow LOL.

also I know that it is getting water because after the head blows it starts pumping water into the hull

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by flyin4stroke View Post
    also I know that it is getting water because after the head blows it starts pumping water into the hull
    What you need to ensure is that the cooling water (when the engine isn't broken) is actually flowing all the way through, no blockage somewhere along the way.

If the thermostat is stuck shut, AND the spring loaded bypass is stuck or plugged with debris, then the water flow OUT of the cooling system will be near zero. Limited water out would mean very little water flow through the engine.

When using the flushing kit connector, if you have one, the water flow is backwards, running out the water inlet. That's what makes it a flush connection - it back flushes the water passages with reverse water flow.

Connecting the garden hose to the normal jet pump cooling water inlet hose means you can also see if water is flowing out the exit hose.

Certainly I would suggest you pull the thermostat assembly off, and check it and the water bar passages for blockage or debris.

I checked all the the water openings with the engine off and blew all of them through with some air everything seemed to be fine is there a screen on the pickup? Maybe it has something on it because like i said it ran fine for about 3 hours one day out on the lake after the first time it burnt the head, and then the 3rd time out it did it again but totally different cylinder.. Also i checked it out and it is burning on the carb side opposite of the e x.

what's the going price for a 1050 head/ or head cover?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information