Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Brookfield, WI/ Des Moine, Iowa/ Houghton, MI

Two Problems: SL780 trim & bilge...

Ok, well... I have struggled with this for awhile now and it just doesn't seem to want to work. I have a trim remote on my UMI bars of a 750 hull. But it's a conversion jet ski with a 780 engine and 785 carbs. The engine has yet to work well 100% but that is another deal.

I have a bilge and remote and everything seems to be connected, but it wont turn on. It should work even when the ski is off right?

Also, the trim is connected but does not move up or down. Should that work when the ski engine is not running? Both of these things bother me and I have no clue what to do. Are there wiring diagrams that might help me in connecting the right wires and such? I think they might be connected wrong. Hopefully they are not both broken, but it is possible...

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by JGringo; 05-20-2008 at 08:31 AM.

+1
    You can download the service maual in the tech section.
    The bilge nor the trim will work until the engine is running.
    To test the bilge, tilt the ski back, add water to the hull (just enough to cover the bilge pick up) and then start it and see if the bilge pumps it out. You can also use a test light to see if the bilge is getting power.
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 05-20-2008 at 08:32 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JGringo View Post
    ...I have a trim remote on my UMI bars of a 750 hull. But it's a conversion jet ski with a 780 engine and 785 carbs...
    I have a bilge and remote and everything seems to be connected, but it wont turn on.
    It should work even when the ski is off right?

Also, the trim is connected but does not move up or down. Should that work when the ski engine is not running also?
    Both of these things bother me and I have no clue what to do.
    Are there wiring diagrams that might help me in connecting the right wires and such? I think they might be connected wrong...
    What does remote refer to?

Which model year 750 hull?

Which model electrical box do you have - 750 or 780?
    What model year (for the electrical)?

On most Polaris Fuji model years, the LR voltage regulator controls the Orange wire to supply power to the bilge pump and trim motor, and the Orange wire is powered up only when the engine is running.

If you have a Bilge button, it is usually connected between the Red/Purple wire (which always has battery power), and the Orange wire. Pressing the Bilge button bypasses the LR, and feeds 12 volts to the Orange wire, causing the bilge pump to run.

Of course, both the bilge pump and the trim system (via the switch) also need to be connected to ground (black wires to battery negative) to work.

Put a meter on the Orange wire, and ground, and start the engine (with the bilge pump also connected). It should go from zero volts to charging battery voltage (about 14 volts) with the engine running, then back to zero when the engine shuts down.

ok, well... I really think that the trim and the bilge were connected wrong. You said in the tech section that there is a wiring section or something of the sort?

Yea, I really need to go through the entire electronics box, clean everything up and seal it up nice and tight. I think I have water in the electonics box or something. Pretty much the box looks like a wreck, so I'll attack that tonight and get back to you on the progress...

The hull is a 94, I don't know the year of the engine... What numbers will indicate the year of the engine?

+1
    ...I really think that the trim and the bilge were connected wrong.
    You said in the tech section that there is a wiring section or something of the sort?

Yea, I really need to go through the entire electronics box, clean everything up and seal it up nice and tight.
    I think I have water in the electronics box or something. Pretty much the box looks like a wreck, so I'll attack that tonight and get back to you on the progress...
    Download the 1992-1998 Service Manual, look in the electrical section for the schematic wiring diagrams.

Almost all the wires are color coded, and the connections in the electrical box are marked.

Pay attention to all the black wires and grounds. They must be all properly connected together, including the metal ground tabs on the LR and plug coils.

If you have water or corrosion in the box, check both sides of the board, and make sure it is all clean and solid connections. Apply dielectric grease once you have it working properly, and make sure the lid sealing gasket is in place.

+1
    The hull is a 94, I don't know the year of the engine... What numbers will indicate the year of the engine?
    Look on the water bar for a small sticker, should have the engine code. If not there, there is a serial number on the exhaust side of the crankcase, top half.

Thanks! Found the problem... You guys are awesome...

+1
    Thanks! Found the problem...
    You guys are awesome...
    What was the cause of the problem, what was the fix?

Might help others who may have the same problem later...

I found that both the bilge and the trim motor are bad, I have to buy new ones. I tested the trim with the electrical connection to the motor positive and negative and the trim didn't move anywhere. The bilge didn't respond to water and the on off switch wasn't doing anything. There could be other problems, but I assume the trim motor is bad and I'm just going to replace the bilge because it is so cheap to anyways...

AND, the jet ski wasn't running well because the fuel filter was completely blocked with soot from the gas tank. I couldn't even blow air through it...

My two cents:
    Before anyone starts to rip apart a funny acting engine, look for the basics of everything (fuel source, spark plugs, compression, etc.) I checked everything but the fuel source and found that I am redarded

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information