Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jet Kit for 98 XPL I talked to someone on the phone

Hey guys I spoke to someone some time ago about a kit for my 98 XPL. I dont remember the guys name or scren name, but he said he raced and the kits where more about knowing what to put in rather than a bunch of money in parts. Anyway I would like to get something for my ski I have to pull the carbs to clean them and replace the fuel lines so now is a good time to make changes right? It doesnt run well I have found some issues.

1. Hood doesnt seal well can you adjust it water is coming in pretty bad when going slow seal doesnt even touch the hull you can see in all the way around.
    2. Runs crappy and if you pin it it feels like it is running out of fuel. That whay I am cleaning carbs replacing lines. Is ther also a fuel pump and kit like a snowmobile engine?
    3. Hits rev limiter if you pin it taking off might have something to do with other stuff
    4. Airbiox kept falling off carb mouthes I found the metal clip is weak and that could be causing it. Kit would take care of this though

+1
    1. Thermo-seal weather stripping. White, 3/4" wide with four ridges, self-adhesive. (Home Depot) Apply to the underside of the plastic bin. The hood will seal up nice when closed.

1a. Cover the two holes in hull in front of the bin. You don't need the air and water pours in there. (the 2000+XP does not have them)

2. Yes, the carbs are crappy.

3. If the carbs are crappy that feeling is the piston squeaking the cyl, NOT the rev limiter. But, check the prop clearance anyway.

4. Air box makes a cool ivy planter. Replace w/ ProK or Fly flame arrestors.

+1
    98 pumps suck,get a 03-04 xpdi pump,clean carbs,replace fuel lines rejet with flame arrestors

Thanks guys. What is the difference in pumps? Are the expensive? I went to alot of trouble modding my Polris with an extended pump power trim stainless 6 vein stator to gain very little

steach is right....go to home depot and get some foam weather stripping with adhesive backing and stick it on the under side of the tray. Also get 2 2" pvc caps they fit right in the front holes underneath the hood. Sounds like your accel pumps are clogged up on the carbs. Take the carbs all apart and use alot of carb cleaner to clean everything. Don't forget the little filters inside the carbs I bet they are all plugged up from the green goo that used to be your fuel lines. Go to pwctoday and pm Bill O'Neal and order his F/A and Jet Kit. May also want to think about switching to pre mix since I blew a cylinder on my 951 due to a crack in one of the oil lines that go to the injectors. If you have any air leaks any where on those motors they will run lean.

also make sure your ski has the rubber diaper around the flange that joins the exhaust manifold to the pipe. These flanges tend to leak and will shoot water right down your carbs

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by race24x View Post
    Thanks guys. What is the difference in pumps? Are the expensive? I went to alot of trouble modding my Polris with an extended pump power trim stainless 6 vein stator to gain very little
    The pumps are not that expensive, as they are plastic. 98's had bronze stators, before they figured out how to make a better pump, and cheaper.

After talking with someone I think I am missing a bin above my engine between the hood and hull anyone got any pics or a fiche have one for sale I will take a pic of mine maybe I am crazy, but the way he described it there is supposed to be a tray over the engine and the hood closes on that.

Quote Originally Posted by race24x View Post
    After talking with someone I think I am missing a bin above my engine between the hood and hull anyone got any pics or a fiche have one for sale I will take a pic of mine maybe I am crazy, but the way he described it there is supposed to be a tray over the engine and the hood closes on that.

yes there is a white tray the holds the fire extinguiser....it covers the whole engine compartment

I posted in the classifieds to see if I can get one

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information