+1

cam chain issues

I've been reading numerous threads with people whos camchain failed and caused quite a bit of other damage to the engine. I was wondering if this is a known issue, or is it mainly caused by extensive modding creating wear. As of now I'm running bone stock besides the washers. I'd like to start modding but this issue has me worried. Does anyone suggest getting the chain replaced after a certain amount of hours as a precautionary measurement. I know its impossible to predict, but but I want to avoid this issue at all costs. If anyone has a link to other threads about camchains, if you could please PM me with the links, I would appreciate it. I like to inform myself as much as possible...

Thanks - this site has been helpful and informative as always!

Andrew

From the reading I've done on here most cam chain failures occur after a ceramic washer failure. I have heard of a couple random breaks but nothing to lose sleep over. What year is your ski again?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP-REX View Post
    From the reading I've done on here most cam chain failures occur after a ceramic washer failure. I have heard of a couple random breaks but nothing to lose sleep over. What year is your ski again?

06 rxt - Ive read similar things as what you've stated regarding the washers, but how would that cause a chain failure?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ajrunke View Post
    06 rxt - Ive read similar things as what you've stated regarding the washers, but how would that cause a chain failure?

Thanks!
    I really don't know. I haven't seen the issue in person, but I think someone said pieces of the fragmented washers got into the crankcase or something??? Got caught in the chain and broke it??? Something along those lines. So swap your ceramic washers out asap and don't worry about it.

I know what you mean about being concerned about issues like this. I have an '04 and think about the flywheel bolts backing out, but being that it's rare and more of a concern at RPM above the stock ECU rev limit I'm not going to sweat it. If I have my engine out for any reason I'll take care of them then.

I had this happen to me after 15 hours. Supercharger went, was warranteed, 20 mins later cam chain went. If you have metal washers I dont think there will be any issues

Quote Originally Posted by Shogren65 View Post
    I had this happen to me after 15 hours. Supercharger went, was warranteed, 20 mins later cam chain went. If you have metal washers I dont think there will be any issues
    Exactly the same happened here. Dam ceramic washers.

Thread Information