Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: power loss

power loss

ok here it is 95 xp. I was in the lake on tuesday and it ran perfect the entire time out (about 4hrs). came home did all my cleanup. then I went out on monday it fired up no problem but had no power so I pulled back to the dock took off the seat and noticed one of the freeze plugs on the top exhaust pipe had blown out. I had the pipe fixed put it all back together and still no power even on the trailer. it fires up fine and will idle but as soon as you hit the gas you can hear it bog down and try to die. any suggestions?

try changing the fuel selector to reserve. mine went bad and i had the same symptom's as you are experiencing. the inside of the the selector switch gets clogged up and dosn't let fuel pass. so turn it to reserve (just pulls fuel from a different part of the same tank) and see if that does anything.

switched to reserve no change. spark is strong

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    When was the last time that you pulled the carbs and cleaned the internal filter screens? Fuel lines ever replaced?

is there smoke under the seat while running, could be leaking at the joint

I have never touched the carbs. Is that something that would just become a problem or would you get some kind of warning?
    there was a little smoke under the seat. Do you mean a joint in the exhaust system?

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle725 View Post
    I have never touched the carbs. Is that something that would just become a problem or would you get some kind of warning?
    there was a little smoke under the seat. Do you mean a joint in the exhaust system?
    The warning is when it becomes a problem... If you've never touched the carbs...you've been on borrowed time now for about 10 years.

Since you blew the bungs on the pipe the coupling between the head and midpipe may have gotten too hot, blowing the silicone seal. Also check the coupler between the chamber and waterbox for holes. Neither of these should cause the symptom you describe though.

compression is just below 130 on front and just above 120 on back. is that ok? I pulled the flame arrestor and the choke cable is frayed and carbs are sticking. does this sound like my problem?also I used compressed air to clean the flame aresstor element like the book said but did not do much good can I use carb cleaner on it?

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle725 View Post
    compression is just below 130 on front and just above 120 on back. is that ok? I pulled the flame arrestor and the choke cable is frayed and carbs are sticking. does this sound like my problem?also I used compressed air to clean the flame aresstor element like the book said but did not do much good can I use carb cleaner on it?
    Carb cleaner is the stuff to use on the screens. Download the Mikuni carb manual and tear them apart.

+1
    Pry the choke plates open and see if that fixes problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information