2001 Virage 700

2001 Virage - plugged intake - wrecked cylinder

My wife took our new to us virage to the lake on the weekend and they got weeds and catails in the jet intake and I think it was not getting water to the motor. The front cylinder is scored and the piston is scuffed. It even started to peel the paint off the cylinder it got so hot.

This is what I plan:

One new pot and head, two new pistons and rings, new thermostat, new water temp. sensor.

Could the weeds have caused damage to the jet pump and how would I check. Any other tips or advise before I put it back together would be appreciated.

Also, what is the grey looking silicone that holds on the grate and cover under the jet pump. I took the covers off to pull out the weeds.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fusion900 View Post
    ...got weeds and cat tails in the jet intake
    ...what is the grey looking silicone that holds on the grate and cover under the jet pump. I took the covers off to pull out the weeds.
    You took the ride plate off under the jet pump, or just the slotted intake grate?

If you haven't already, download the 2002 Service Manual, which covers the Virage. It includes details on sealing the intake grate (and ride plate, if you took that off too).

+1
    My wife took our new to us virage to the lake on the weekend and they got weeds and catails in the jet intake and I think it was not getting water to the motor. The front cylinder is scored and the piston is scuffed. It even started to peel the paint off the cylinder it got so hot.

This is what I plan:

One new pot and head, two new pistons and rings, new thermostat, new water temp. sensor.

Could the weeds have caused damage to the jet pump and how would I check. Any other tips or advise before I put it back together would be appreciated...
    Temp sensor - did the over heat warning not appear when the intake clogged?

Do the waters you ride have a lot of weeds?

If another clog is a distinct possibility, you might want to install a pisser water discharge port on the side of the hull, somewhere the rider can easily see it. If the water stops coming out, they know to shut off the engine until the clog is fixed.

A number of Polaris have been modified with pissers (the smaller ones were a Polaris OEM part on the Hurricane model), often in conjunction with triple exhaust pipes, but it can be done with the regular exhaust configuration too.

Which model and year Virage did you buy?

2001 Virage 700
    It is a 2001 with 90 hrs. I took off both plates, should have only taken the grate off. Just hope it did not hurt the jet pump. Do they have a shear pin our some type of clutch to prevent damage. Thanks for the reply. Can fix snowmbobiles, but this is my first PWC.

+1
    It is a 2001 with 90 hrs. I took off both plates, should have only taken the grate off. Just hope it did not hurt the jet pump.
    Do they have a shear pin our some type of clutch to prevent damage?
    Thanks for the reply.
    Can fix snowmobiles, but this is my first PWC.
    The rubber coupler at the engine is designed to 'give' if the impeller gets jammed.

Watch the RPM at full throttle after you get the engine fixed. As long as it isn't over-revving from slippage in the rubber coupler, it is probably fine.

Be careful and thorough when re-sealing the ride plate and intake grate. Even a tiny air leak can cause problems for the jet pump water suction at the intake. Read the Service Manual regarding sealing.

Update your profile with your Virage info.
    What model - Virage i, carb'ed Virage twin???

2001 Virage 700
    How do I clean the dark scum off the bottom of the hull or can I paint it. This is a great site.

+1
    How do I clean the dark scum off the bottom of the hull or can I paint it. This is a great site.
    Not sure they have this in Canada but at most any hardware store, retail store like Wal-mart and auto stores you can get this stuff called Gel-Gloss, it comes in a pink rectangular can. It's a cleaner and polisher for Fiberglass, Marble and Acrylic...it's great stuff!

+1
    How do I clean the dark scum off the bottom of the hull...
    Inside or outside of the hull?

2001 Virage 700
    Basically the dark skum on the outside of the hull from letting it sit in the water. Guess I have to repair the motor before I worry about the hull. All parts on order, should be here early next week.

+1
    Basically the dark scum on the outside of the hull from letting it sit in the water.
    Guess I have to repair the motor before I worry about the hull.
    All parts on order, should be here early next week.
    Most boating supply places have a range of water scum removal products. Usually one product does the gel coat, and something else to shine up the stainless metal stuff.

Simple Green and a nylon scrubbie for the nooks and crannies, and maybe some flat black paint to freshen up the jet pump (just don't get over spray onto the hull).

If you have rust stains, oxalic acid will remove it, just wear gloves, and be careful with any acid.

If you have the engine out of the hull, you can drain the fuel+oil tanks and then flip the ski over, if you REALLY need to elbow grease the scum off, or fix up scrapes on the bottom.

Many have taken the opportunity to clean up the interior of the hull, especially under the engine area, where a lot of gunk often accumulates.

I found regular bilge cleaners just were not strong enough. Simple Green and liquid bleach did most of the job for me (just don't breathe in the bleach fumes, and wear old clothes).

Bleach in a spray bottle also kills the mould smell around the flotation foam.

Rinse everything thoroughly afterwards. Lift the trailer tongue up as high as you can to help with hull drainage.

Thread Information