Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 01 GP12R help

01 GP12R help

Hey guys, i am new to greenhulk but, a veteran at pwctoady.

Anyway, a few months back i picked up a 2001 gp12r and i have some questions.

As soon as i got it, i installed waveeater clips and couplers, oil blockoff kit and replaced plugs (all the general maintance).

After numerous rides, i have not seen anything over 60 on the speedo which to me is a little on the low end with the ski's mods. The previous owner installed a protec head, protec turbo pipe, arrestors and covers, protec ride plate and intake grate and the sensor mod(exhuaust temp sensor pulled out of pipe). I am sure it does not have the pump plug kit (or its improperlly installed) becuase it cavitates like heck out of the hole. Now, i have not pulled the pump to check this or if the prop is aftermarket but, the ski had 78hrs and now has 90hrs. The thing runs great and pulls really hard but, it seems like the top speed is a little on the low end.

could the jetting have been overlooked in the previous owners mod process? I checked the plugs after riding very hard and they were tan which to me, means the mixture is good.

i have played with the trim and sponsons and top speed stays the same.

Could the grate/ride plate be scrubbing speed?

Thanks for the help!

+1
    Welcome to the hulk..

Are your speeds GPS???

With those mods you should be in the low 70's. Search for ride plate angle and see if the plate is set-up.

+1
    If you are tuning for top speed, the first 2 things that you need are a good tach and a GPS.

The speed robbers on your ski are the Turbo Tube, intake grate, and ride plate. To give you any more advice you will have to get a good RPM reading and solid GPS numbers.

+1
    First thing to do is get a GPS if you are using speedo. Mine has read over 80 at times and once in a while it gets some seaweed or otehr junk and gives all kinds of wacky other speeds. I don't know much about carbs but I noticed u have the Protec turbo tube and intake grate. I have read that the turbo tube srubs 1-1.5mph top speed and I think the protec grate does about the same. This is just stuff I have read maybe someone else can chime in

+1
    Keep in mind the same cavitation that is giving you issues on the bottom will cost you on the top end.

The plate and mounting of the paddle wheel can effect the reading on the speedo.

Like everyone else says - a tach and a GPS is pretty much mandatory. Especially with a ski that has those mods. Need to watch things closely.

Moderated
    i put covers (outwears) on my arrestors and they robbed me of 180rpm....so yours may be costing you as well along with the other items mentioned above..

So, for starters i will get a GPS reading. I will be going out on memorial day so, i do that then.

Also, tonight i am going mess with the pump and see what i can figure out.

I will also remove the outerwears today as well.

I will keep everyone posted. If i need a ride plate/grate/prop what brands would be recomended? riva? r&d?

+1
    R&D grate and plate. Prop - nujet I guess?

Moderated
    remember removing the outwears will allow more air flow ( as they starve the carbs of air hense the rpm drop) so the carbs may need to be richened up a little to compensate the change ( and avoid running lean)....but then again i suck with carbs so ask for a second opinion please

+1
    As for prop selection, you will have to get some RPM readings for any kind of suggestion.

I would order a "FF" plate and the new stainless grate from the online store.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information