Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Rocky_Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    826

    MSX 150 trouble code interpretation...!

    My '04 MSX 150 is sitting at the Polaris dealer...and the DigitalWrench indicates the following two current codes:

    P0120
    P1602


    The mechanic admits that he has very little experience on this model, and wants to contact Polaris for directions. I am hoping that someone here can explain the meaning of these two codes, and that can help me make sure that I get the proper corrective service.

    Symptoms were: engine check engine light would come on at 5800 rpm's, and remain on, while the ski would continue to run smoothly, but restricted to 5800. Pulling the lanyard would reset the check engine light, but would return when 5800 was reached again. Very poor acceleration with the engine light on....

    A little history...I am the one that found my waste gate 'stuck' awhile back, and the gate is now working freely. DigitalWrench showed the 'overboost' code, but it is listed as 'historic', not current. This tells me that the waste gate is no longer an issue. In the process of figuring out that the gate was the problem, I replaced the turbo valve (part 0451349), and the PPU (part 2410446).

    Any help would be very appreciated...both to me, and my wallet!



  2. #2
    desperado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    453
    +1
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Road View Post
    My '04 MSX 150 is sitting at the Polaris dealer...and the DigitalWrench indicates the following two current codes:

    P0120
    P1602

    The mechanic admits that he has very little experience on this model, and wants to contact Polaris for directions. I am hoping that someone here can explain the meaning of these two codes, and that can help me make sure that I get the proper corrective service.

    Symptoms were: engine check engine light would come on at 5800 rpm's, and remain on, while the ski would continue to run smoothly, but restricted to 5800. Pulling the lanyard would reset the check engine light, but would return when 5800 was reached again. Very poor acceleration with the engine light on....

    A little history...I am the one that found my waste gate 'stuck' awhile back, and the gate is now working freely. DigitalWrench showed the 'overboost' code, but it is listed as 'historic', not current. This tells me that the waste gate is no longer an issue. In the process of figuring out that the gate was the problem, I replaced the turbo valve (part 0451349), and the PPU (part 2410446).

    Any help would be very appreciated...both to me, and my wallet!

    P0120 = Throttle Position Sensor: Plausibility Error..... Indicates the readings from the two Throttle Position Sensor signals do not agree.

    P1602 = Throttle Valve Learning: Conditions Not Met.... Indicates the conditions during Throttle Valve Learning procedure weren't correct. Can be caused by problems in the Throttle Valve Actuator, Throttle Position Sensor or Pedal Position Sensor Circuits.

    Hope this helps..... at least, the 2 codes point to a potential common root cause and it is nothing serious from a mechanical standpoint....

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    Rocky_Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by desperado View Post
    P0120 = Throttle Position Sensor: Plausibility Error..... Indicates the readings from the two Throttle Position Sensor signals do not agree.

    P1602 = Throttle Valve Learning: Conditions Not Met.... Indicates the conditions during Throttle Valve Learning procedure weren't correct. Can be caused by problems in the Throttle Valve Actuator, Throttle Position Sensor or Pedal Position Sensor Circuits.

    Hope this helps..... at least, the 2 codes point to a potential common root cause and it is nothing serious from a mechanical standpoint....

    Good luck.
    Thank you for answering!

    This makes sense, since I replaced the throttle position sensor (PPU)...although I assumed that the computer would scan the new PPU, and adjust accordingly. I now have some backup to critique whatever the dealer has to say. I wish that I had a local Polaris dealer that I had some faith in...not to put down the only one in town, but to wish that this dealer has seen more MSX 150's than mine! At around $80 per learning curve hour, I hate to be the guinea pig...!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    panama city beach 'fl
    Posts
    1,846
    +1
    9

    Cool

    if I remember right,with the machine running,pull the main power relay and back of machine(think the one hanging on metal bracket-brown color-I think?) give it few min. then plug relay back in this will reboot ecu and it will pick up new values (if nothing else sounds good!)

    later cd

  5. #5
    Rocky_Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    if I remember right,with the machine running,pull the main power relay and back of machine(think the one hanging on metal bracket-brown color-I think?) give it few min. then plug relay back in this will reboot ecu and it will pick up new values (if nothing else sounds good!)

    later cd
    Another helpful answer from CD!

    I actually have the procedure for resetting the ETB learning function...but could not ever find where the 'main relay' resides. CD leads me to the brown unit next to the ECU. If he is correct, then I can follow that procedure, and the ETB will be programmed to match the new throttle sensor unit (PPU). This could solve all of my issues....

    A second opinion as to the main relay location would be great. And a 'hats off' to CD!

  6. #6
    SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids,Iowa
    Posts
    6,381
    +1
    23
    Maybe tell you dealer,here let's do this together,and we'll both learn something,then tell him"I won't charge you for the lesson"

  7. #7
    desperado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    453
    +1
    3
    Straight from the shop manual......

    ETB Learning Procedure

    The ECU must perform the ECU / ETB learning procedure when ever the ECU or ETB is replaced with a new part. During the procedure, the ECU sweeps the throttle plate from full open to full close and “learns” the unique characteristics of the ETB.

    1. Engine must be OFF, and lanyard removed from stop switch.
    2. The PPU must be at absolute 0. (Increase the throttle flipper cable freeplay to ensure PPU is set to absolute zero and that cable is not kinked.)
    3. Verify the battery voltage is at or above 10.1 Vdc, and that the engine temp. is between 42 and 176_F. The outside ambient temp. must be at least 42_F.
    4. Install the new ETB or ECU.
    5. Insert the lanyard into the stop switch. Wake-up ECU and wait for AT LEAST 30 seconds.
    6. Remove lanyard and wait for AT LEAST 2 minutes. You should hear the throttle body perform self-ajustments.
    7. Insert lanyard and re--start engine. Re--set the throttle flipper cable freeplay to what it was prior to performing process.

  8. #8
    Rocky_Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Maybe tell you dealer,here let's do this together,and we'll both learn something,then tell him"I won't charge you for the lesson"
    I hear that! So far, I have learned (on this forum) twice as much as the dealer knew this morning. The latest from them, is that they need to keep my ride until Friday, and that they will have about 4 hours invested in the 'fix'. My guess is that they will do the reprogramming thing mentioned above, put the ski into the tank for about 20 minutes, and tell me that there are more issues that I need to pay for! Since this is my first visit to this dealership, I will 'bite the bullet' and decide if there is any reason to use them in the future.

    I have talked to Jay about my problem, and there is no doubt that he is totally on top of any issues with the MSX 150. If I don't get a 100% running ski back, I am prepared to drive to NJ to get it fixed right. Does this make any sense? Probably not...but I love this MSX, and am willing to do whatever is necessry to keep it running.

  9. #9
    Rocky_Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by desperado View Post
    Straight from the shop manual......

    ETB Learning Procedure

    The ECU must perform the ECU / ETB learning procedure when ever the ECU or ETB is replaced with a new part. During the procedure, the ECU sweeps the throttle plate from full open to full close and “learns” the unique characteristics of the ETB.

    1. Engine must be OFF, and lanyard removed from stop switch.
    2. The PPU must be at absolute 0. (Increase the throttle flipper cable freeplay to ensure PPU is set to absolute zero and that cable is not kinked.)
    3. Verify the battery voltage is at or above 10.1 Vdc, and that the engine temp. is between 42 and 176_F. The outside ambient temp. must be at least 42_F.
    4. Install the new ETB or ECU.
    5. Insert the lanyard into the stop switch. Wake-up ECU and wait for AT LEAST 30 seconds.
    6. Remove lanyard and wait for AT LEAST 2 minutes. You should hear the throttle body perform self-ajustments.
    7. Insert lanyard and re--start engine. Re--set the throttle flipper cable freeplay to what it was prior to performing process.
    This is what I suspect will be done to my ski tomorrow...but I am printing this to take with me to the dealer. I know that my PPU is at absolute zero, since there was some slack in the cable when I installed the new unit. Really sucks that I could have done all of this myself...but without the DigitalWrench program, I could not be sure of what trouble codes I had.

    Many thank, desperado!

  10. #10
    SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids,Iowa
    Posts
    6,381
    +1
    23
    Before the prices came down on the code readers,I would go to Autozone,get the codes read and go home and fix it. Maybe next time, just pay to have the codes read. Good luck.
    What we need is to get our hands on a digital wrench that could be rented out around here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 04 msx 150 engine codes
    By tsnap in forum MSX/Matrix
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-15-2012, 12:17 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 07:50 PM
  3. msx 150 trouble
    By ajballer01 in forum MSX/Matrix
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 09:11 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 08:35 PM
  5. msx 150 possible intercooler trouble
    By Joe dana in forum MSX/Matrix
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •