Question about wetsuit and gear care?

What are you guys using for a deodorizing spray for wetsuits and gear? And where are you getting it? Thanks.

Brigantine, NJ

How Do I Clean A Smelly Wetsuit?
    by Doc Vikingo
    This article first appeared in Rodale's Ask RSD, October 1999
    This periodic task contributes much to the comfort of the diver and his companions. There are a number of ways of accomplishing this, but none should be attempted until insuring that they are consistent with the manufacturer's cleaning instructions.
    As well as regular cleaning/deodorizing, some preventative measures will help keep odors down. These include limiting the "warming" of your suit, removal after each dive to avoid absorption of perspiration, and rinsing well in warm water and hanging out to dry after each day of diving.
    The best cleaning/deodorizing results will be obtained by soaking the suit in an enzyme-based cleaner such as "Odor Be Gone" or "Sink The Stink." These are available through many dive shops and online. The suit should be soaked in one of these for a number of hours, and preferably overnight, then removed and allowed to dry.
    While not as effective, cleaning can also be done by washing with Woolite, agitating either by hand or placing in a front loading washing machine with at least a "gentle" and preferably a "hand wash" setting. A top loader set at "normal" could rip stitching. The temperature setting should be on warm, not hot. Add a small amount of liquid fabric softener to the rinse cycle.
    Whatever you do, don't put the suit into a machine dryer. Rather, gently squeeze the water out by hand, taking care to avoid pulling on stitched areas.
    With the suit still moist from the rinse, mist completely with "Febreeze," available at grocery stores, and dry by hanging outside, avoiding direct sunlight, or in a drying space in your basement or the like. The suit should be stored on a wide shouldered hanger and in a place which is cool, out of direct sunlight and well-ventilated.

Scuba shops sell stuff for this. Not sure if they are just overpriced dishwashing soap, but it's supposed to be just for wetsuits, etc.

Around Lake Travis
    You should be able to find Sink the Stink at most dive shops. Warming a wet suit in cold water is a nice feeling, but warming a dry suit, not so nice.

i imagine its got some kinda polymer in the soap that keeps in water proof

id just throw it in the washer on hot and throw a little degreaser in it after wards

Marlton, NJ
    I have always washed every wetsuit I (as well as my wife and 2 kids) have ever owned in the washing machine with regular detergant on the gentle/perm press cycle.... Wash them several times a year...
    Hang inside out to dry... I have never had an issue...
    Same with shoes, gloves etc etc..

Covina, Ca
    My wetsuits are 10 years old and dont smell bad at all. I just wash them with the garden hose and hang them after each ride.

You cant make this shit up!!! 79malibu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post
    My wetsuits are 10 years old and dont smell bad at all. I just wash them with the garden hose and hang them after each ride.
    x2 I hope this works because im new to this

League City, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post
    +1 my wetsuit is over 9 years old and does not smell. I do the exact same. rinse well and hang dry.
    Same with life vests. Same with my 14 year old pull over life vest.
    Last edited by RX951; 05-26-2008 at 09:44 PM.

Thread Information