Tips on buying a used SUV 1200

I'm looking at a used 1999 SUV 1200. Wanted to get some tips about what problems I should look for in a used ski. Also wanted to hear from anyone who's owned a 1200 SUV in the past. Thanks!

+1
    Start with finding out

How many hours on the clock? If more than 150 I would tend not not buy it.

Was it used in fresh water or salt water? I would never buy a salt water ski unless I was willing and able to spend a lot of time replacing all of the corroded parts (carbs, pump liners, etc.) and the ski was very very cheap.

Are you sure you want a SUV - that is a very large ski, something smaller might be more fun to ride.
    Last edited by philip_gpr; 05-22-2008 at 07:13 PM.

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    man we love ours..

got a stock and a conversion.
    mega storage and a ultra smooth ride............

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by philip_gpr View Post
    Start with finding out

how many hours on the clock?

was it used in fresh water or salt water?

Are you sure you want a SUV - that is a very large ski, something smaller might be more fun to ride.
    all good points!!!

I have one and use it for my Family Ski great fun, anybody can ride it, never turned it over, very stable ski. I pull tubes wakeboards etc. This is a slow ski 50mph give or take so don't look for any speed here (unless your name is rapidacceleration) so if these are your reasons for buying do it. I am close to 200 hours on mine. I have had to change my wear ring and had a pump seal go out, both normal maintenance items for the amount of hours. This ski is a bit of gas guzzler I will run the full 18 gallon tank through it in a busy afternoon on the water. Below are several more of the reasons I love this ski
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alex Bday 07 133.jpg 
Views:	3609 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	74110  

+1
    If you are buying a used ski remember check the following to save yourself from unexpected headaches. And it shows the seller you mean business and will not buy a crap ski.

The SUV is huge, I have ridden one for a couple hours and they can be fun. It will top out at around 50mph. This machine definatly has it advantages for space, storage, and towing ability. But it also lacks in agility, cornering, agressivness, and speed.

Check compression!!! If you dont have a gauge, buy one for $30 at a local auto parts store. Make sure all 3 cylinders are close to the same!!! This will save you from costly engine repairs if compression is low prior to buying.

Check under the ski... look for impeller damage, pump damage, intake grate damage. Check the condition of the hull.

Check the overall look of the ski (inside motor compartment and exterior) That will tell you a lot about how the ski was maintained and cared for.

This is a powervalve motor, ask if it already has waveeater clips and couplers installed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike's GPR View Post
    If you are buying a used ski remember check the following to save yourself from unexpected headaches. And it shows the seller you mean business and will not buy a crap ski.

The SUV is huge, I have ridden one for a couple hours and they can be fun. It will top out at around 50mph. This machine definatly has it advantages for space, storage, and towing ability. But it also lacks in agility, cornering, agressivness, and speed.

Check compression!!! If you dont have a gauge, buy one for $30 at a local auto parts store. Make sure all 3 cylinders are close to the same!!! This will save you from costly engine repairs if compression is low prior to buying.

Check under the ski... look for impeller damage, pump damage, intake grate damage. Check the condition of the hull.

Check the overall look of the ski (inside motor compartment and exterior) That will tell you a lot about how the ski was maintained and cared for.

This is a powervalve motor, ask if it already has waveeater clips and couplers installed.
    All good tips except for the last one. This is a 65U non power valve motor. Yamaha sold these in the SUV1200 through 2004 when they stopped making the SUV

Stock compression should come in around 120 psi

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    All good tips except for the last one. This is a 65U non power valve motor. Yamaha sold these in the SUV1200 through 2004 when they stopped making the SUV

Stock compression should come in around 120 psi
    +1

I always wanted and SUV1200, wish they still made em..

Thread Information