Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

1st ride RXT-X on Lake Havasu

Well I finally got my new RXT-X out on the water today. I launched at site 6 at Lake Havasu. The winds were 30 gusting to over 40mph out of the north, so the north side of the island was full of 3 to 4 foot whitecaps.
    So, here's my first ride report;
    1. Its got good power, but it not something thats going to pull you off the ski. I had it up to over 60 a few times and I was impressed.
    Its very stable at any speed and inspires confidence.

2. Handling in rough water; are you kidding me?? I think it was probably a little rough for any ski on the water today. Going into the wind, and into the biggest waves I could find, I could only manage 15mph no matter what I did. I tried different speeds, body position, and VTS settings, nothing worked for the rough water. I would make it across two waves, and stuff it through the third.

3. After about 15 minutes of riding I discovered I had mirrors. Yea, I know, they were always there, but for the first 15 minutes I was a bit busy. They're nice, and you can see behind you.

4. VTS trim system. This appears to be useless. I checked, and mine does move the jet up and down, but only a tiny bit. So when riding at different speeds in the chop I tried full up and down, didn't notice any difference. I wish there was a mod to make the VTS change the angle more. I left it in the middle.

5. Whoever set up the buoy course at Body Beach, thanks. It looks like you guys have a nice course with the island in the middle, well done.

6. Seadoo did us a disservice by not including the depth finder for free. There a blank spot on the message center that's just waiting for input from that device. But I hear you have to spend an extra $300 plus dollars......are you kidding me???? On a $13,000 ski, this should be included. Also, more information on the gauges would have been nice. Like fuel burn or engine temperature.

All and all I'm happy with the ski. Today's conditions were the worse that Lake Havasu can dish out. I stayed on the lee side of the island as much as possible. The chop there was only about 1 to 2 feet, and the ski ran on top of that flawlessly. I took it through the buoys and it carved effortlessly. It had no tendency to spin out, or stuff the nose. I think even a novice could get the hang of it fairly quickly.

I was only on the water about 45 minutes and used about 3/8 of a tank of gas, so not bad. I'm still breaking it in, but I did some full throttle runs, just for a few seconds to seat the rings, and varied the rpm.

This is a big boat, but it doesn't handle or feel like one. I'm glad I bought it, and can't wait to go out again when the water is calm, and its not a big holiday weekend.

Banned User
    Enjoy.. You'll see after time that the VTS helps when your holeshoting and yes the VTS extension rod will help.

Banned User
    +1
    What VTS extension rod?? Where do I get one?

i make, break, and fix things 08255's Avatar
    I think maybe the water was too rough to feel the differences in the trim.

Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    Well I finally got my new RXT-X out on the water today. I launched at site 6 at Lake Havasu. The winds were 30 gusting to over 40mph out of the north, so the north side of the island was full of 3 to 4 foot whitecaps.
    So, here's my first ride report;
    1. Its got good power, but it not something thats going to pull you off the ski. I had it up to over 60 a few times and I was impressed.
    Its very stable at any speed and inspires confidence.

2. Handling in rough water; are you kidding me?? I think it was probably a little rough for any ski on the water today. Going into the wind, and into the biggest waves I could find, I could only manage 15mph no matter what I did. I tried different speeds, body position, and VTS settings, nothing worked for the rough water. I would make it across two waves, and stuff it through the third.
    Its was too rough for 30' boats on the lake yesterday. Today isn't much better.....

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    What VTS extension rod?? Where do I get one?

Greenhulk.net store, Look at the toolbar on left side of page-- online store

Alex

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    Greenhulk.net store, Look at the toolbar on left side of page-- online store

Alex
    I looked. The only thing I could find was the VTS extension rods for the RXP. I think that has a little different setup then the RXT-X..

+1
    Today's conditions were the worse that Lake Havasu can dish out.
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

That lake has had 4ft rollers with 2ft swells... don't kid yourself. Don't take that lake for granted. You havent SEEN rough on Havascrew yet... Don't get caught by it. Don't ride alone.

Congrats on the new ski. Once you get in smoother water, your riding skills will improve. You will find a use for the trim, and understand how to go faster than 15mph in rough water...

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

That lake has had 4ft rollers with 2ft swells... don't kid yourself. Don't take that lake for granted. You havent SEEN rough on Havascrew yet... Don't get caught by it. Don't ride alone.

Congrats on the new ski. Once you get in smoother water, your riding skills will improve. You will find a use for the trim, and understand how to go faster than 15mph in rough water...
    Actually I have seen Havazoo when its at its worse. I live basically on the lake so I can look out my window and see how rough it is.
    This morning it 65deg and looks like 2 to 3 foot swells in 20mph winds. I would be on the lake now if it weren't for the holiday weekend. I'll go back out on Tuesday once the crowds have gone. Hopefully the weather is nice. For now I'm content to watch from my backyard. I'm right up the street from Body Beach, so I can usually see the jet ski's from my house.

Body Beach question; Do you absolutely have to have a 4X4 to lauch your ski there??? I see the road that goes up the hill then down towards the water, just wondering what launching condition are there.

+1
    I think you can do it, IF you have some ground clearance. I've seen cars back there with small trailers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information