Pic of Cracks in Hull

Here are pics of the cracks in my hull. What is the best method for repair?
    Im pretty shure its just the gel coat but worried it will get worse. If you guys have any advice or comments, please let me know.
    Thanks.

I can't see your crack? thank god

Cmon stop teasing. Its crack or bung hole, you choose

Sorry, learning to attach pics.

See it yet?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2044.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	848.0 KB 
ID:	74036   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2048.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	517.3 KB 
ID:	74037  

Hmmm....not good at all.

Usually when you have only one single crack alone, you'd want to use a rotary bit grinder kind of like a Dremel tool with a sharp V point stone on it, and litteraly carve onto the crack path to grind a channel at the place of the crack, then after you fill back this channel with same color gel coat , then sand, then buff & polish it...but for the other picture the right one.....this is really bad...you'll have to grind off/remove the gel coat on most of this lower half affected area, then let the fiber dry thoroughly, buff it rough, then redo basically all the gel coat there.....just trying to repair all those cracks would be worthless as the gelcoat is already very affected and damaged there.

how did that happen? looks like some chunks missing on the edge. other cracks look like stress cracks. I'm a little lost as to where this is located on hull.

Fiberglass flex a bit before breaking....gelcoat well definitely not.

These look to be the back of the boat, where the drain plugs are, from the way i see the cracks on the pictures, it looks like the back of the boat underneath took a severe drop or knock underneath, the stress did break the backside gelcoat like that, and that even gave stress to the rear sides of the boat cracking the gelcoat there also.

The first picture is it from the rear side of the boat or elsewhere...?

Having repaired few hulls before i can tell that this one took a severe shock, nothing to be affraid of (thinking of the structural fiberglass hull) but it is just that the gelcoat on it couldn't stand all that stress and cracked.

The first pic is on the left side towards the rear, the second pic is on the
    back between the two pumps. One of the chips in the gel coat was there when I got the boat. then last summer I noticed a few hairline craks and now, more chips and craks. Its really agravating to realize my disreguard of the small hairline crack has led to this. There is a method of stress releaving steel by drilling a hole at each end of a crack, this isolates the crack and prevents it from growing. I wonder if drilling a hole in just the gel coat would prevent it from cracking until I can get it fixed. What is the difficulty level for gel coat repairs? I dont have any expierence in fiber glass or gel coat, so any advice would be great
    Thanks,

Drilling a hole at the end of the crack also applies to gelcoat. One of the problems with gel stress cracks is most time they come back after the repair so it requires structrual repair as well. Picture the gel as thick shell like paint.

I'm giving you a link to some of the best advice you can find. If your problem is model specific then search some more on this site.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...play.php?f=167

I can see where it did came from...one small place where the water can reach the fiberglass is problematic....as the water enters between the fiberglass hull and the gelcoat, it runs in between....now whenever the boat is getting older, the water inside there reduce the gelcoat adhesion and can create aggravation to this problem.....the prevention to this is whenever you get a crack, chip or deep scratch through the gelcoat (up to where you can actually reach/see the fiberglass) you have to repair it as soon as possible to prevent any water to get in there....but once it is there and aggravating....the more you wait....the more big surface you will have to repair...

See....imagine the gelcoat being a protective shell like said, but it prevents the moisture and water to get to the fiberglass hull underneath....the fiberglass can be attacked by moisture and water, so gelcoat protects it...but it is not totally water proof, so if you let your boat sit into water all year long, with time moisture will run through it, and you will end up with what they call 'water blistering' bubbles appearing here and there into the gelcoat showing that there is water condensed and trapped between the fiberglass hull and the gelcoat....this is a problem that will aggravate with time. Those bubbles must be drilled and drained a.s.a.p. and the proper way of doing so is to grind/carve up to the fiberglass make it rough and well sanded.....then rebuild the gelcoat.

It is the exact same way with the cracks....everything must be repair to prevent water to stay there.

Here up north with freezing winters, when this happens, it is even worst....as trapped water between hull and fiberglass when frozen takes expansion and litterally chip the gel coat out of the fiberglass....so in summer you actually see gelcoat peeling out of the hull because of the icing.

The best cure....never leave a boat all summer long laying into the water...no miracle cure...or should i say....wax the hull.....wax the hull.....wax the hull.....again....and again...!

Thread Information