Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Riva Intercooler or XS

Which Intercooler is better? I know the RIVA IC's go bad every few years, but is that from salt water? If Iam in Ohio I shouldnt see that right. I have the RRFPR, X-SC, Riva Rear Exhaust, 15/20 Imp etc. Which one would be better

+1
    Just go Riva if money and budget is not a big deal.

I will go with which ever one shows the most gains. Also, I have the Riva Air Intake, there has to be a better one out there. Where can I get one?

go with a proven winner, not a cheap knock off.

not flushing IC and heavy salt water use seem to be the accurate demise of the Riva cores. I know the Riva (vortech) cores are tested to 70psi from the pump. in most cases you are not near that.

Riva or Piranha, your choice if monies allow......

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post

not flushing IC and heavy salt water use seem to be the accurate demise of the Riva cores. I know the Riva (vortech) cores are tested to 70psi from the pump. in most cases you are not near that.

Piranha all the way

I did end up powder coating my bracket and making metal pipes but I still would buy this kit.

The intercooler itself is actually really high quality. Anodized core also.

+1

I'm wondering which intercooler you're pointing at to be the knock off. I would think it would be Piranha, but your last line makes it sound like the XS. Let's just be clear that the XS wasn't created for PWCs, it just so happens that it adapts perfect to our machines. If I'm not mistaken, Piranha was the one being accused of being a direct knock off of Riva when it came out..

Anyhow, PR is correct about the salt water. And he's also right in inferring the XS is the lower budget setup compared to the others. Some swear that the XS performs as good as Riva's cooler (SleeplessnMS and his crew come to mind first) and others believe the Riva has a slight advantage.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    I didnt buy the Riva solely because so many had problems with them leaking. In fresh and salr water. Plus they wont stand behind them if they do develop a leak. If I rode in salt water I would go for the Piranha setup.

XS is definately the best bang for the buck!! I been running one for over 112 hours in salt water with a groco filter and it's been trouble free.

I take it you're referring to the XS IC Andy? Not trying to throw stones, but have you tried JFizzleJR's XS setup or your own? It's a very nice setup. There are also 2 types of XS IC. The big one which most people are using and a smaller one that is just like the Pirhana and Riva which jtskier11 happens to be using very well on his brand new ski with X SC. Personally I would like to try a Piranaha IC setup versus my XS to see if there actually is a performance difference. Danny did good with his flow bench tests, but I would like to see on the water for myself. I know Jerry has done this and he said he lost 200RPM with the XS. Maybe this is so, but I just find it hard to believe that if I put a Riva or Piranha IC on my ski now that I would gain 200 RPM. If I did that would put me at 77mph with a Riva stage 2??? That would be pretty damn sweet I'm not gonna lie.

No neglect and abuse will ruin anything over time and salt water is VERY corrosive, but there have been RIVA IC's that leaked on fresh water riders. Vern comes to mind, and I don't think he is one to not take care of his stuff. Like jtskier11 said the amount of failures of the Riva and the price of the IC just steered me away. There have been a couple XS IC's leaking come up but I have only heard of 2 and they were in salt water conditions and I don't think the guys knew you had to flush them. If I were to have an IC leak and need to replace it's nice knowing that by having the XS IC Im not out $1500. I can get a new XS IC for just over $100.

In all honesty if I had to choose and $$$ was not an issue I'd get the Pirhana IC. The core is anodized and it comes with a very nice bracket and silicone pipes. Performance of it from what I've heard matches the Riva. If I can save up enough $$$ and get some other mods done first I will switch to the Piranha IC.

Quote Originally Posted by RXP-REX View Post
    Personally I would like to try a Piranaha IC setup versus my XS to see if there actually is a performance difference. Danny did good with his flow bench tests, but I would like to see on the water for myself. I know Jerry has done this and he said he lost 200RPM with the XS. Maybe this is so, but I just find it hard to believe that if I put a Riva or Piranha IC on my ski now that I would gain 200 RPM. If I did that would put me at 77mph with a Riva stage 2??? That would be pretty damn sweet I'm not gonna lie.
    Rex shame your don't live a little closer... If you did I'd swap intercoolers for a worth while test. I'm running metal pipes now though so that would also make a difference.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information