'93 SL750 Starting problem

I just bought a '93 Polaris SL750 and it has one major problem. Once I get it running it seems to run fine although it may be too rich. However, it takes a while to get started and after I run it it's nearly impossible to start until I let it sit for a long time. I changed plugs and tried a few things, but with no luck.

Thanks!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Penning.

So you suspect it to be running rich? oil rich or fuel rich?

Are the spark plugs wet or oily when you remove them?

The letting it sit for a while before it starts, sounds like it's rich with fuel and flooded. If this is the case, try holding the throttle Wide Open when cranking.

With a ski that age, you need to update the fuel system. New hoses, new fuel pump, clean or replace the fuel selector valve, and DEFINATELY clean the carbs thoroughly. There are fuel filters inside the carbs that may need cleaned.

The plugs seem oily. It definatley doesn't work to hold it wide open to start it. I tried that thinking it would work several times, however, no luck.

I looked today to find someone that could go through the carbs, but it's hard to find someone in this area that will work on a Polaris jetski. The closest I found was an hour away and had no idea on a quote for going through the carbs.

Now today I'm having a different problem. The only thing I changed was turned down the idle.. Now it has started 5 times in a row after taking 10 minutes to get it started the first time... However, now it bogs down with no accelertion. I think I'll just order a new needle and seat kit and carb rebuild kit. I've fixed cars my whole life, we'll see how bad I can fudge it up. Thanks for your help!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Have you downloaded the 1992-1998 Service Manual?

You can send your carbs out for servicing. They will come back clean, with new parts where needed.

I think Watcon.com does this service, and maybe someone else...

Of course, if you do it yourself, you will learn exactly how these things work, and save a little money. Be sure to use genuine Mikuni parts.

As you will find when you search on here, there are a number of commonly needed maintenance items on these Fuji engined Polaris, particularly the fuel system. The original fuel hoses will need replacing, including those inside the tank. Be sure not to loose the fuel return line restrictor when the hoses are changed.

+1
    Sounds like carbs for sure. Just for the hell of it, what's the engine compression?

If you can wrench a car the carbs are no problem.

1. use a 12mm stubby wrench to remove the 6 nuts from the bottom of the carbs holding it to the intake manifold.

2. remove the throttle and choke cable, then the oil pump linkage.

3. record the adj screw settings if you have mods done

4. Completely strip the carbs down. Jets, adj screws, and needle/seats.

5. carb clean all the passages and then use compressed air

6. reassemble carbs and set all adj screws back to the original position or stock.

7.reinstall with new intake gaskets.

Now the intake gaskets and needle/seats are sold seperately. They do not come in the carb rebuild kits,

8. replace all fuel hoses. Including the ones inside the fuel tank. Looking for the brass restrictor inside the return hose nearest the last carb and re-install it

9. thoroughly clean/inspect the fuel shut off valve OR replace it

10. replace the stock fuel pump with a triple outlet fuel pump and reroute the new fuel lines.
    Last edited by xlint89; 05-22-2008 at 10:03 PM.

impulse line problem?

I've spent the last few night cleaning all carbs and installed a brand new 3 output fuel pump. I also noticed the inpulse line has water in it and I've cranked over the motor (with the front in the air) to try to get all the water out. The problem is it still boggs down and isn't running right even after I replaced all fuel lines. It doesn't seem to be getting enough fuel. Also I've tried checking the impulse line a couple other times and it's still spitting out a grey sludge. Any ideas?

+1
    Have you inspected the reeds?

+1
    You need to get out all the sludge.

Open up the fuel pump and see if any fluid is inside it where it shouildn't be.

sludge

Every time I think I'm close on getting the oil and water mixture out I run it for a while and I get more in the impulse line and #3 plug. I think something is significantly wrong. Looking in the plug hole I may even have a cracked piston in #3.. the same piston the plug gets the oil/water on. I think this will be quite a project.

+1
    Pull the head and get a better view.

Thread Information