Moderated

Unhappy pump shoe questions

I have been tuning my 02 1300 conversion on and off of late and have around 2.5 hours on the motor now.

best speed to date is around [email protected] 7210 rpm with a 14/22 DF ( way low for my mods).

I have been going back over my work looking for areas slowing me down and when i checked my pump shoe clearance today i discovered ( i am an idiot) that my shoe only has .062 clearance instead of the recommended .075.

now i doubt very much i can get the shoe back out as it is sealed in with sikaflex and i also know this is going to be costing me because the grate will be digging in to much due to that extra .015 depth but i need to easy way to address it.

Can i just take .015 odd off the base mounting part of the grate to lift it up a little to address this issue or is there an easy way to remove a sealed
    shoe???

Also any ideas on how much this would be slowing me up with an 800 grate on it?

all thoughts welcome

+1
    Dont sweat it. The speed is more in the plate, tab, prop combo. Just so the shoe is recessed and square in the hull.

+1
    Your pump shoe is 100% fine.

The .075 is a average i was able to get a small coin through it its sweet.

Like Rich said it needs time to tune the tabs and plate prop set up.

+1
    when adjusting my plate the other day I noticed my shoe was slightly higher in one side of the hull vs the other (left side lower). I have loose nickel clearance in right side and tight nickel in left. It was fine when i sealed it but thinking maybe I had jacked it up not level or soemthing while it was curing. Is this something I should worry about (adverse handling affects or scrub speed)?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gprjersey07 View Post
    when adjusting my plate the other day I noticed my shoe was slightly higher in one side of the hull vs the other (left side lower). I have loose nickel clearance in right side and tight nickel in left. It was fine when i sealed it but thinking maybe I had jacked it up not level or soemthing while it was curing. Is this something I should worry about (adverse handling affects or scrub speed)?
    I worry about intake grate fitment

Quote Originally Posted by gprjersey07 View Post

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but my shoe is the same way.

When under the ski, the left side has a loose nickel's worth and the right side is probably .65-.70 clearence - not quite a nickel - even in the front. Out of the box, the ski's gone almost 68 mph. Should I worry about it or try to sand/grind that side down to make it more even?

I am guessing that the ski, and probably many others, come this way from the factory...

+1
    Should I worry about it

no

I typically run a little less than .075 because this improves handling with very little if any speed loss

Quote Originally Posted by philip_gpr View Post
    Should I worry about it

no

I typically run a little less than .075 because this improves handling with very little if any speed loss
    So its OK that one side sits up higher than the other?

(My issue is the un-evenness, not the amount of clearence. I'd be fine if it was even on both sides, no matter if I can fit the nickel or not)

Thanks.

I just want to see what others think before I seal the shoe tomorrow...

Thread Information