Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

bttek...another intercooler test?

bttek...whats the chances of doing some testing on the XSPOWER (ebay) intercooler? I'm real curious how it compares to the other two you have run. I really wonder what makes for the best intake on these things as we have short intakes, long intake, 3" and 4", smooth bore, rippled (flex hose), hull air, cold air etc.

Re: bttek...another intercooler test?

I have not seen the X-power (ebay) IC in person so I have no idea on how it would compare to the RR or Riva units.

The one thing that I would be very cautious of with ANY IC and espeically a very inexpensive one is how well the core is made. Don't forget that we are pumping a high volume of water at high pressures through the core. If one gets a leak in the IC then you have water pouring into the engine and will hydrolock it causing a blown engine!!

Attached is a picture showing precisely what an engine looks when you try to compress water.

Something to consider when trying to save a few bucks IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuji
    bttek...whats the chances of doing some testing on the XSPOWER (ebay) intercooler? I'm real curious how it compares to the other two you have run. I really wonder what makes for the best intake on these things as we have short intakes, long intake, 3" and 4", smooth bore, rippled (flex hose), hull air, cold air etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	damage3_207.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	4323  

Okay...thx for the reply

+1
    That looks cool!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t_damage3_207_146.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	4324  

Not to the guy that owned this motor!!

Quote Originally Posted by HOSS
    That looks cool!

considering how many people are using the intercooler I really dont think even though they are inexpensive that they will leak anymore than a rotax or riva cooler who just slapped a sticker on an existing product made by someon else.

But it would be nice to see how they perform against each other, I bought the xspower and have yet to mount it but figured for a quarter of the price of a "RXP Specific Intercooler" its worth giving it a try and see the outcome.

Quote From Another Topic
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch411RXP
    I tried the Mac Boost Intercooler this weekend at the races when I found my Rotax one busted and leaking water in the hull.

Central Arkansas or Missouri on lake of the Ozarks, Table Rock, Bull Shoals
    YEah! Test that one!

Re: bttek...another intercooler test?

Quote Originally Posted by bttek1
    The one thing that I would be very cautious of with ANY IC and espeically a very inexpensive one is how well the core is made. Don't forget that we are pumping a high volume of water at high pressures through the core. If one gets a leak in the IC then you have water pouring into the engine and will hydrolock it causing a blown engine!!
    [/quote]

I have a similar opinion and the responses when I shared my opinion made me feel like everyone thought I was the anti-christ or something. Kinda like what a guy told me about crash helmets, if you think because they look the same they are the same you may have a $12 head so a $12 helmet is fine.

+1
    I know of a very large well known company, who i wont name that tried to cut costs on their intercoolers and decided to try a "made in China" intercooler. They ran it on their dyno to see how it performed and the coil busted under water pressure forcing water into the engine hydrolocking it at 8100 RPM's. What a mess

You are correct in that there are no guarantees that even purchasing a "name brand" IC will guarantee trouble free performance.

That being said I certainly would trust a Vortec (Riva) IC or a Rotax Racing unit over a home built unit any day of the week. It's not that a home built IC can't be any good, it might be great but when I have a customers engine with over 8K into it I certainly will not try to save money going with a cheaper IC.

Generally speaking the larger companies that manufacture these items know what they are going into and know what would happen if there was a leak in the core. They pressure test the cores and do durability testing to assure trouble free performance

I sincereley doubt that the guys selling the ebay IC units have the resources or technical know-how to perform such tests or QC.

Quote Originally Posted by excess
    considering how many people are using the intercooler I really dont think even though they are inexpensive that they will leak anymore than a rotax or riva cooler who just slapped a sticker on an existing product made by someon else.

But it would be nice to see how they perform against each other, I bought the xspower and have yet to mount it but figured for a quarter of the price of a "RXP Specific Intercooler" its worth giving it a try and see the outcome.

Quote From Another Topic
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch411RXP
    I tried the Mac Boost Intercooler this weekend at the races when I found my Rotax one busted and leaking water in the hull.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information