Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New ski choice

New ski choice

First of all...I wanna say hi all. Over the last few months i been doing some studying up on skis and will be purchasing a ski in the next 2 months or so. I'm a lil stuck at the moment on what to get though. I'm looking into getting something thats reliable, comfortable, and suits the lake conditions by me the best (lake michigan). I'm hoping to get some unbiased opinions so i will post in the other threads too. The rxp-rxp-x, ultra 250, and fx SHO are the choices. I like the ultra 250, but am a lil weary about hearing about all the GIO issues going on...I really like the rxp-x for the power and glitz but then again i hear their SC like to take poops cause of the ceramic washers and metal bearings and i really dont like the fact that its only a 3cyl....I was looking into the SHO and it seems like they are a comfortable ride along with power.I also found out awhile ago that they were pushed back due to a recall with the shaft. I understand all these PWC have their quirks and all, and in a way it concerns me, but i wanna hop into this sport and rip up some water, so please give me a lil help and throw some opinions out there. Thanks.

In 2008 Sea-Doo went to metal washers. Don't have to worry about that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by the_w8 View Post
    First of all...I wanna say hi all. Over the last few months i been doing some studying up on skis and will be purchasing a ski in the next 2 months or so. I'm a lil stuck at the moment on what to get though. I'm looking into getting something thats reliable, comfortable, and suits the lake conditions by me the best (lake michigan). I'm hoping to get some unbiased opinions so i will post in the other threads too. The rxp-rxp-x, ultra 250, and fx SHO are the choices.
    It all depends on how you want to ride.

The FX-SHO is a high-tech performance cruiser, it has more electronics and gadgets than the RXP-X or the Ultra 250X. Off the bat, you're not going to be the fastest guy on the water with this pwc, but it can still hold its own. At the moment the 1.8L engine is extremely detuned from the factory. Hopefully this will change once Riva releases the new Stage 2 kit. IMO, this is the most user-friendly pwc of the three, though there is a certain amount of risk in purchasing a first year, new production model.

The Ultra 250X is a good offshore ski. It is faster than the FX-SHO but a bit slower than the RXP-X. From what I've heard it handles chop amazingly due to its weight (it is the heaviest of the three). It is well established and there are plenty of them around, you should be able to pick one up pretty easily. There are also plenty of mods. for this boat should you choose to venture to the dark side and empty your pockets in the name of speed.

The RXP-X is the fastest of the three and has the most power. You will beat any other stock pwc on the water hands down. It does not handle chop as well as the three seaters, but it makes up for this in flat water. It is also a first year model and there has been an issue with the exhaust hose clamps, I believe this has been resolved. There is no longer any problems with the ceramic washers, they have been changed with metal washers which are much safer to use.

I find it odd that you are looking at two three-seaters and a two-seater. Have you every thought of the RXT-X? It is more comparable to the Ultra 250X and the FX SHO. It is a little unfair to compare a two-seater to a three-seater. Take a look at it if you haven't. In my somewhat biased opinion, I think it is the best stock three seater on the market; it is surely the fastest. Many people complain about Seadoo's unreliability but from what I've experienced, if you take care of it...it will last.

You will be happy with any of the new models out there and you will be blown away by the amazing power and speed they put out. It's up to you, good luck in your search and ride safe.

thanks a tons agibbs very imformational...appreciate it alot....I agree with you about the SHO being the first year out...they tend to go thru more recalls to rid of all the glitches and such. The only thing i really dont care for about sea doo is the price, but its true that you pay for speed. I also like the rotax engine as my old sled was a skidoo....I have no desire to mod out my ski at all as 60 mph will be plenty of speed for me. I used to ride my freinds 1100 zxi and that lil best tore pretty decent, but was a rough ass ride. the ultra 250 seems like it may suit me the best due to the chop on lake michigan, but I'm still taking some for test rides to get the feel and then i'll let that make my decision. Thanks

thanks a tons agibbs very imformational...appreciate it alot....I agree with you about the SHO being the first year out...they tend to go thru more recalls to rid of all the glitches and such. The only thing i really dont care for about sea doo is the price, but its true that you pay for speed. I also like the rotax engine as my old sled was a skidoo....I have no desire to mod out my ski at all as 60 mph will be plenty of speed for me. I used to ride my freinds 1100 zxi and that lil best tore pretty decent, but was a rough ass ride. the ultra 250 seems like it may suit me the best due to the chop on lake michigan, but I'm still taking some for test rides to get the feel and then i'll let that make my decision. Thanks
    No problem, the Ultra 250X is a great ski. I know a few guys who have them over here and they love them. Try a RXT-X as well if you get the chance, that way you will have the opportunity to try out each manufacturer’s high performance three seater and for your own opinion. That way you will have no regrets with your purchase.

I would agree with everything agibbs says and add that the P-X has also had a recall on a fuel vapor line and steering line problem. Dealer has checked and fixed. I would also add that as far as reliability is concerned, my 03 GTX LTD has 235 hours and no problems other than the oil sensor that was replaced under warranty. I also sold my 02 DI to a friend taht has about 200 hours on it now and an 00 GTX RFI to another friend that has about 200 hours on it as well. If your interested I'll let you know next after next weekend about the RXT-X. A friend of mine just got his 1st hours in and it's at the dealer for it's 10 hr service. I have the RXP-X with 13 hours and I'm extremely happy so far!

Quote Originally Posted by L&shark55 View Post
    I would agree with everything agibbs says and add that the P-X has also had a recall on a fuel vapor line and steering line problem. Dealer has checked and fixed. I would also add that as far as reliability is concerned, my 03 GTX LTD has 235 hours and no problems other than the oil sensor that was replaced under warranty. I also sold my 02 DI to a friend taht has about 200 hours on it now and an 00 GTX RFI to another friend that has about 200 hours on it as well. If your interested I'll let you know next after next weekend about the RXT-X. A friend of mine just got his 1st hours in and it's at the dealer for it's 10 hr service. I have the RXP-X with 13 hours and I'm extremely happy so far!
    That is another point, IMO, Seadoo is just as reliable as any other manufacturer. I put just over 100hrs on my 2007 RXT in the span of 3 months (June, July, August), without a single problem. After the summer I have only put 10 more hrs on it to date Anyways, the stock s/c had over 100hrs on it, the ceramics were changed once at 60 hrs for safety. Failure was always on my mind, but there were no problems *knock on wood*. It has the metal washers that come with the X s/c now, I feel much better for it too!

So if you change the metal bearings in the S/C to ceramic ones does that help the stability/longevity of the S/C?

So if you change the metal bearings in the S/C to ceramic ones does that help the stability/longevity of the S/C?
    no, i dont think so....

the main problem with pre-08s was the ceramic supercharger washers. the 08s have metal which fixes the issue. the ceramic ones would explode and drop RPMs and top speed tremendously. my friend blew his and couldnt go much over 50 and RPMS were low as well i think.

but 08s are good to go and with pre-08s just get some metal washers from the online store here.

Double post, moderator: please delete
    Last edited by agibbs; 05-27-2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Double post, please delete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information