Thread: scratch repair?

scratch repair?

Hey guys...

the top decks on my XLT1200's have a few scratches in them... Whats the best way to fix them?

It doesn't have to look great, but mainly I just want to put touch up paint on the spots that cut through the paint.

Who sells matching paint? 2001 XLT1200, white deck with gray/silver front.

Thanks!

+1
    I'm no expert on painting, but I was able to touch up some of the scratches on my GPR by wet sanding and buffing alone. After refinishing the paint job on my grab handle with good results I got brave and started working on some of the scratches on my bow deck. I used the instructions in the link below for color sanding. The second link is the polishing pad I used. I found them in Advanced Auto in a scratch repair kit from 3M that had both compound and polishing pads with a drill attachment. For the deeper scratches that required touch up painting, I appied several coats until it was slightly higher than the surrounding paint and then wet sanded and buffed it out. Luckily, black paint for me was easy to match and I had great results. As far as the paint codes for your ski, maybe a local dealer could stear you in the right direction.

http://www.automedia.com/Color-Sandi...es20030601cs/1
    http://www.3mestore.com/3m-perfect-i...shing-pad.html

+1
    My ski got mangled at Jerry's last year because I parked it near the metal dock thingy. I've tried everything from Marinetex to Yamaha touchup, and nothing comes close to matching. Not happy at all - my ski is almost as bad as WFO's.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    my ski is almost as bad as WFO's.
    I doubt that!!!!! I'm suprised that "Crash" still floats.

Where can I buy paint?

The gashes I'm talking about are like chips of paint... where it shows the raw color under it. I'm guessing even something that was close to the orig color would look better!

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzK View Post
    Where can I buy paint?

The gashes I'm talking about are like chips of paint... where it shows the raw color under it. I'm guessing even something that was close to the orig color would look better!

I ordered from ColorRite. Kind of expensive for the tiny amount of paint, but worth it if it works!

I'll let ya guys know how it turns out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    My ski got mangled at Jerry's last year because I parked it near the metal dock thingy. I've tried everything from Marinetex to Yamaha touchup, and nothing comes close to matching. Not happy at all - my ski is almost as bad as WFO's.
    I hate docks. I've seen it all. Here are a few examples..
    1. front of ski under dock - some ass in no wake zone makes wake
    2. lag bolt through pylon at dock making love with my ski
    3. loosely tied aluminum hull boat 'eating' the front of my ski - ass in no wake zone makes wake and adds to the horror

This was a steep learning curve but I have now learned some very creative ways of tying to the dock.

btw.. I untied the aluminum hull boat once I realized it was on top of my ski and sent it on it's way down the river. It's hard to have a good time when you constantly have to worry about the ski getting messed up.

Thread Information