Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Jim's Performance and Team Tampa Rocks

I've been in the middle of changing jobs and moving over the last month, so I haven't had much computer access until today. As some of you may know, I seized the rear piston on my new 1400 a couple of weeks ago. It happened after about 15 hours.

I had planned a trip down to see Jim because I wanted him to look over my hull, and repitch an impeller I have. When I got down there, he checked my compression and found the rear cylinder was low. He quickly pulled the head and spotted a crack near the bottom of my cylinder (he also had seen water on the plug). With me living in a hotel for several weeks, I decided to leave the ski with him and let him take care of fixing it. Best decision I have ever made!!

In less than two weeks, Jim fixed the rear cylinder, fixed all of my hull issues, and had it back and running better than new. He let me know it was ready by calling me up and letting me hear it run on the phone. Basically, I had put it together with it way too tight on the squish (and too high of compression) which overheated and cracked the rear cylinder. When Jim tells you he is going to do something - just know he means it. He told me before he started that my ski would be setup almost identical to his - with all of his mods. I did not end up with a ski close to his, or one that was near his, but mine is exactly like his - including all of his custom modifications. I can't count (nor will I list) all of the changes he made to my ski.

I went down to Tampa last weekend to break in the ski with Jim and the rest of Team Tampa. I really was expecting Jim to let me run it around for a while and then say see ya and good luck with it. Instead I ended up spending the day with Jim, Nate, Leo, Brian K and Ross. Jim walked me through the break in with Leo and Nate's help. I lost count of the times Jim pulled the plugs, checked the EFI controller or adjusted the power values. It looked like a scene from a NASCAR race, I'd pull in from a run down the canal, and Jim and everyone else would be all over my ski with tools in hand. These guys are serious about what they do - but they have a blast doing it. I felt like one of the gang in no time.

After I went though the break in cycle, and was down to half a tank, Jim said it was time to see what it would do. After each run, Jim would say we weren't leaving until it was running at least 78. And before the end of the day, it was running 77.5 - 78. Nate had the fastest run, and Leo by far had the best holeshot on it.

As for the handling, Jim has it dialed in, and I mean it runs like it's on rails. I would have never thought it would be running the plate angle (Jim's FF plate) that it now has with full handling. The hull has a prefect amount of lift, and it is rock solid. I was able to ride superman though light chop without any bouncing. This is by far the best handling ski that I have ever ridden.

In the end, it ended up being cheaper for me to have Jim to do the work than if I did it myself. These guys do an incredible amount of testing - which is next to impossible for a single person to duplicate. I would have spent at least twice the amount I spent with Jim trying to duplicate his setup (just buying different parts to test would have cost more). BTW, I had never met Jim in person before I dropped off my ski - the service I got from him is the same service EVERYONE gets from him. I got the standard JIm's Performance customer service - which is just awesome.

I also picked up one of Leo's holeshot kits that he matched to the color of my ski. Leo does great work - I highly recommend his holeshot kit - I can't wait to see the results.

If you are looking for someone to do any work on your ski, or need help setting up the hull, take a trip to see Jim - you will not be disappointed!!

i just wanted to say THANKS to Jim and all of Team Tampa - you guys are a bit crazy and a blast to hang out with. I'll be heading up your way in the next couple of weeks after I make a few changes you suggested

+1

Thumbs up

Nice write up. Good to hear your ski is running right

+1
    sounds like you had a ball

sound a great buch to hook up with let alone work on your ski..

hope the house move went ok..

+1
    Congrats Gator,looks like another happy customer for Jims Performance...What is that now 150 out of 150 customers with great service from Jim,i am no math major but i would say this is 100% satisfaction..
    Last edited by james k; 05-22-2008 at 12:23 PM.

5. +1 by:

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Thank you for the kind words Norm, Yes every time the speed was getting faster and faster with every run and picked up over 120 RPM's good numbers with a ski just being breaking in, It was very very rich on fuel and oil every time you took off it would leave a cloud of smoke and fouled 1 plug and still ran them numbers.

Install the couple things i told you and you will be 80 plus with full handling and 1200 grate, And come up this way 1 week end and i will do the final adjustments and you will be all set.

You are correct Norm i am blessed to have friends like the guys i hang out with here in Tampa we are 1 big family and there are no secrets held back, when anyone here comes up with something new we are all together at the canal trying to help out and make it work.

Hope to see you soon Norm like i said plain a weekend up this way and we will finish all the tuning and do some riding together. Thank you, Jim
    Last edited by JIM'S PERFORMANCE; 05-22-2008 at 12:31 PM.

+1
    Jim has built both of my motors and is a class act. Every time I think I do not want to drive to him for a problem that some one local can fix I end up driving there any way and paying twice.

Weather it is as serious as assembling my motor or something as simple as putting new seals and bearings in my Scat pump. Which a local shop did twice before I sent it to Jim.

Gator, you did the right thing and I promise your ski will go faster when you get it out of the Tampa Triangle !

Nate beat me on Brians Rxp a couple of weeks ago. My Rxp Only ran 66.3 over there in the salt. The next week end at home it ran 69.4 in hotter temps.

+1

Thumbs up

I had a similar experience with Jim and Team Tampa... I brought my ski down to Florida visiting my parents to ride... When I got down there my ski was running 66.8 with just about every mod with the exception of porting. I knew something was way off... It was 2 mph slower just showing up in Florida... I spent my first day in Florida riding with Jim, Nate, Leo and a couple of other guys. Jim took my ski for a ride and asked me to bring it by his shop... After not running over 67 on a ski that should easily run mid 70's I brought the ski to the shop. Jim took the time to point out all the things on my ski that would make all the difference. The only part on my ski that was changed was my stock Riva plate was now a shiny FF plate. Not only did Jim share an infinate and priceless amount of info on how what and why they do things a "certain way" in Tampa. Long story short... I got some magic dust from Jim ... My ski that was dropped off running a best of 66.8 in Fla or 68.3 in NJ ran 74.8 with Nate on it and a best of 74.3 with me on it CONSISTENT over 74 mph in Florida heat!!! By just adding a ride plate and some magic dust Jim pulled over 8 mph over my ski!!! I wouldn't have believed it if I didnt see it with my own eyes... My ski was one of 2 ski's that came home from Florida 8 mph faster than it arrived. When all was said and done I got to spend 2 days of riding, testing, and tuning with some of the most knowledge filled, friendly and down rite cool guys.... I can not say enough good things about Jim's work, attention to detail, and customer service! Thanks again Jim...

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    You are correct Norm i am blessed to have friends like the guys i hang out with here in Tampa we are 1 big family and there are no secrets held back, when anyone here comes up with something new we are all together at the canal trying to help out and make it work.
    Where's this secret canal you speak of?

You guys going out anywhere on Monday?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzK View Post
    Where's this secret canal you speak of?

You guys going out anywhere on Monday?
    It is on the Tampa side of the Courtney Campbell.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkaddict View Post
    I had a similar experience with Jim and Team Tampa... I brought my ski down to Florida visiting my parents to ride... When I got down there my ski was running 66.8 with just about every mod with the exception of porting. I knew something was way off... It was 2 mph slower just showing up in Florida... I spent my first day in Florida riding with Jim, Nate, Leo and a couple of other guys. Jim took my ski for a ride and asked me to bring it by his shop... After not running over 67 on a ski that should easily run mid 70's I brought the ski to the shop. Jim took the time to point out all the things on my ski that would make all the difference. The only part on my ski that was changed was my stock Riva plate was now a shiny FF plate. Not only did Jim share an infinate and priceless amount of info on how what and why they do things a "certain way" in Tampa. Long story short... I got some magic dust from Jim ... My ski that was dropped off running a best of 66.8 in Fla or 68.3 in NJ ran 74.8 with Nate on it and a best of 74.3 with me on it CONSISTENT over 74 mph in Florida heat!!! By just adding a ride plate and some magic dust Jim pulled over 8 mph over my ski!!! I wouldn't have believed it if I didnt see it with my own eyes... My ski was one of 2 ski's that came home from Florida 8 mph faster than it arrived. When all was said and done I got to spend 2 days of riding, testing, and tuning with some of the most knowledge filled, friendly and down rite cool guys.... I can not say enough good things about Jim's work, attention to detail, and customer service! Thanks again Jim...
    Thank you very much TJ for the kind words, Hope you guys can get back down and do some riding.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information