+1

Ground wire question

My motor is back in, aligned and fastened down. There are three negative cables that attach to three separate bosses on the front of the motor ... I ended up putting the two smaller black wire connectors onto one mount, leaving one hole unused. Is there any reason why these wires need separate grounding? Will it cause problems if they are touching? Logically it seems it would not, but I wanted to ask ...

+1
    Lemme guess - you lost one of the bolts? I always have to hunt those things down.

Sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    My motor is back in, aligned and fastened down. There are three negative cables that attach to three separate bosses on the front of the motor ... I ended up putting the two smaller black wire connectors onto one mount, leaving one hole unused. Is there any reason why these wires need separate grounding? Will it cause problems if they are touching? Logically it seems it would not, but I wanted to ask ...
    Vern, I too thought about that, so instead of doing what you did, I put it back the way it was out of the factory. one thing I noticed, they sealed those terminals with gray color sealant from the factory. I did the same thing and sealed it after putting it back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1133.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	773.5 KB 
ID:	74151  

+1
    off topic a bit but rellevant and just the opposite .....ILO starting another thread whats the HOT ON WITH DESS wire color?????????? thanks guys appreciated! on topic on the 2007 models there are three on the front and three on the side of the motor as well........i used them to ground my bilge pumps!

I connected two of the wires to the engine lift loop. It was recommended by a mechanic in another thread and made a lot of sense. Electrically speaking you won't have any problems running two or three of the grounds off the same bolt as long as they are all making good contact with each other and the engine. The only problem with this is in the event th bolt breaks you lose all of your grounds, what are the chances of that though?

I know with the equipment I work on inspectors don't like more than one ground per lug, but they also say welding a grounding block to the frame isn't acceptable they would rather the block be bolted

Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    off topic a bit but rellevant and just the opposite .....ILO starting another thread whats the HOT ON WITH DESS wire color?????????? thanks guys appreciated! on topic on the 2007 models there are three on the front and three on the side of the motor as well........i used them to ground my bilge pumps!
    REID, sorry I was at work and no access to a computer. There is 3 wires on the dess BK(black), WH(white), BK-YL(black w/ yellow stripe. I think it's the BK-YL. look at the pic if you can blow it up. even better and put the lanyard on and test it. The best I can do with the pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1539.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	532.9 KB 
ID:	74229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1540.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	462.4 KB 
ID:	74230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1541.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	489.0 KB 
ID:	74231  

+1
    Thanks for the input ... it sounds like it does not really matter ...

Franko, funny ... yes I DID lose one of those bolts, but I decided to double up before that happened actually. The rotten thing is I have NOT been able to find the damn bolt either! It is sitting somewhere other than the hull bottom ... arrrgh. Oh well, it won't hurt anything and eventually I will find it under the motor.

I have debated about going with SS studs and nylock nuts instead ... having a stud there would make connecting the wires so much easier. I know the smartest way is to attach all these before lowering the motor all the way down, but I had to trial fit, align, etc and by the time I got it all set, the clearances between all 3 mounts is so tight that I just removed one bolt at a time, Loc-tited them and torqued them. THEN I attached the ground wires, and yet it was a PITA. Oh well ...

Thread Information