Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More GIO problems

Hey guys, I'm new to these forums, been reading up on the subject for a couple days now. I have GIO in my new 250, just less than 10 hours on it. Called the dealer and they said it was part of the break-in process. Is it true that i can expect a little GIO on a new ski or do i have a problem?

Thanks all.

+1
    new 250 as in 2008? hmm. Not a great sign. i think your dealer is kinda talking out their butts too. not part of break in. dont fret. just read up on quick oil changes if prob contiunues and monitor oil levels. keep it quite low on the dipstick. near bottom notch. GIO seems to really take off when oil is high, or even halfway between bars on dipstick. keep it low but safe. check every ride. also make sure you torpedo level the engine to check it adn to change it.

if GIO is persistant. change every 8-20 hrs. depending on how rough you ride. also at end of day loosen gas cap. some say it helps.

Ah cool. Thanks for the reply. Yeah I really didn't believe the dealer as I had been reading about it here for a few days now. And yes it is a '08 Kawi green, love the color makes me happy.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1

Talking GIO

Quote Originally Posted by rathee View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to these forums, been reading up on the subject for a couple days now. I have GIO in my new 250, just less than 10 hours on it. Called the dealer and they said it was part of the break-in process. Is it true that i can expect a little GIO on a new ski or do i have a problem?

Thanks all.
    Why do you think you got GIO?????
    as a lot of people get all excited because that heard the word GIO
    and dont even know what to look for

Just curious

Warren

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by benjahw View Post
    new 250 as in 2008? hmm. Not a great sign. i think your dealer is kinda talking out their butts too. not part of break in. dont fret. just read up on quick oil changes if prob contiunues and monitor oil levels. keep it quite low on the dipstick. near bottom notch. GIO seems to really take off when oil is high, or even halfway between bars on dipstick. keep it low but safe. check every ride. also make sure you torpedo level the engine to check it adn to change it.

if GIO is persistant. change every 8-20 hrs. depending on how rough you ride. also at end of day loosen gas cap. some say it helps.

Hey Guys, sorry to hijack this thread, but when you put the torpedo level on the engine, what do you rest it on?

Currently I am using one of those cheap little plastic line levels and it fits between the two center spark plug wires and just barely straddles the 3 lines on the head. Here is one of Skips photos for reference. The white box between the center plug wires is where I put my plastic line level.

AM I using the level in the right location?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valvecover.gif 
Views:	39 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	74192  

+1
    that would work. i use a torpedo and rest it on the Emission covers. The head.

Well, I'm fairly sure theres gas in there, as the oil smells like straight up gasoline, and it also drips off the dipstick like its not even oil. Am I correct in assuming GIO?

Be it an 07 or 08 Ultra, you are going to have GIO so join the club with the rest of us. IMO, It is not that big of a deal as long as you change the oil often . . . like every 3 tanks or so. Every boat on the water has its own "inconveniences". Unfortunately, GIO appears to be our inconvenience.

Anyone using a higher viscocity oil?

Quote Originally Posted by blownhotrodder View Post
    Anyone using a higher viscocity oil?
    Great question. Maybe prolong changing oil? I personally have been buying the cheap stuff. Change after 2 rides.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information