How do you replace the shock??!!

Ok so my front hood doesn't hold its self open, and so i bought a replacement shock and took the old one out, but i can NOT for the life of me get the sock to compress down so i can fit it into the receiver hole.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    I'm desperate at this point.

usually when replacing those kind of shocks there is a banding on them. I am basing this on rear windows for SUVs and such. You are not supposed to cut the banding until you get it installed.

Not sure on this though. Could you get a ratatching strap around it like something you would use to strap down the rear of boat on the trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by lludacrisboy View Post
    Ok so my front hood doesn't hold its self open, and so i bought a replacement shock and took the old one out, but i can NOT for the life of me get the sock to compress down so i can fit it into the receiver hole.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    I'm desperate at this point.
    This is a two man job for most people, use a 2*4 to hood the hood open and take some Vise Grips and clamp them about 3 inches below the 90 degree bend on top on rod that goes into the hood that hold the c-clip, them push down hard! Note..make sure you are attached on the bottom and I would personnally make sure to tighten the triangle bracket so it don't pop out again!

well this worked.

I took a tie down, that holds the back of the seadoo down from bouncing when i drive, and had one person compress the shock while i took up the slack on the tie down and got it perfect the first time.
    once tied down, i put the shock in and released the tie down and the shock works perfect!!
    thanks for your help guys.

+1
    I just took the rear two shorter bolts out that hold the hood to the hinge and that allowed me to lift the lid enough to slide the shock rod through the hole and use the lid as leverage to compress the shock enough to put the bolt back in. I also protected the tip of the lid and the hull by putting a rag in between.
    Last edited by speedskixp; 05-23-2008 at 08:41 AM.

Thread Information