Ocean/Salt Water question???

Going to the beach this weekend and riding both of my jetski's in the salt water for the first time.... (I know I know) Trust me "MPower" Jonathan has already tried to talk me out of it.

Thought I would ask though, should I wash/flush these ski's EVERY time I take them out of the water, or if I'll be there for the whole weekend, could I just wait till the last day before we head back hole to flush them out and wash ???

Flushing takes 15 to 30 minutes depending how detailed you get.

Me, I would flush each and everytime I took it out..

I would reccommend flushing it everytime although I just pulled my '07 GTI out of the ocean in Florida and I left it tied up to the dock sitting in the saltwater for 5 days and had no rust corrosion or anything.

I did flust it and wash it very well as soon as I pulled it out. Make sure to spray everything down with a silicone spray before you put it in. Some use WD-40 which works well to just make sure to wipe it off of rubber hoses, ect since it is a petrolum product and can detoriate rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by bymorris View Post
    Going to the beach this weekend and riding both of my jetski's in the salt water for the first time.... (I know I know) Trust me "MPower" Jonathan has already tried to talk me out of it.

Thought I would ask though, should I wash/flush these ski's EVERY time I take them out of the water, or if I'll be there for the whole weekend, could I just wait till the last day before we head back hole to flush them out and wash ???
    Yep!! Wash and flush everytime!!! Doesn't take long. I'm the third owner of mine. And it was fresh only before me. I've had it in nothing but salt since i got it and can tell no change cause i always wash and flush. Just buy some cheap car wash and give 'em a quick hand washing after you flush it. You already got the hose out anyways! I also got some salt water engine flush from Boater's World that was half the price of The one quart size of salt away, and i got a whole gallon!! I can't remember the name but it looks like a bottle of washer fluid. Think i paid $18 for it.
    Last edited by 1996XP; 05-23-2008 at 09:57 AM.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Another very important trick I learned is to swab dielectric grease inside the spark plug boots. Salt water is so conductive, it will partially ground the spark, and foul it.

Make sure you have an extra set in each ski, and a tow rope.

I spray the whole engine and carbs with fogging oil, to prevent the saltwater from getting in the cracks and flaking up the paint.

I'd flush every day too. Or even better...stop somewhere on the way home and and take a quick ride in freshwater.
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 05-23-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Another very important trick I learned is to swab dielectric grease inside the spark plug boots. Salt water is so conductive, it will partially ground the spark, and foul it.

Make sure you have an extra set in each ski, and a two rope.

I spray the whole engine and carbs with fogging oil, to prevent the saltwater from getting in the cracks and flaking up the paint.

I'd flush every day too. Or even better...stop somewhere on the way home and and take a quick ride in freshwater.
    Perfect, I'm actually coming back home Sunday and I'm going to take the ski's out that afternoon so I will be back in fresh water pretty quickly.

I know you said fogging oil... but what about WD40 ??

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    WD will rinse off. I'd rather have a good coating of something that is going to stick and then Simple Green it off later.

Corroded carbs aren't pretty. And the oil doesn't hurt the engine at all.

remember WD is a solvent and solvents tend to dry out rubber.

Thread Information