Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1996 Polaris SLTX..HELP!

I have a 1996 Polaria SLTX 1050, last year it started not accelerating all the way to it's noraml 70 mph. It would sputter and enventually go up to 70, but then after a few days it would no longer go 70mph. It semms to run ok at about 40 mph. I put new plugs and caps on it. Still didn't fix it. Took it to an "Authorized Dealer in my area, they were no help. They first said nothing was wrong, then it need the carbs rebuilt, then the computer, the other electrical problem...none of that fixed it. They had it all summer and then saud it "might be the stator" but they weren't sure, I already had $500 in it and they wanted $700 more to see if it "might be the stator", I declined and got it back in pieces. Anyone have any ideas....could it be the stator? Help me please, it only worth about $1500.

Jeff Bell

+1
    Hey Jeff, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!

So they went through the carbs (hope they got it right) BUT did they change out all the grey fuel line and check for any othe restrictions in the fuel system?
    If it were mine, I'd verify fuel pressure.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bell View Post
    I have a 1996 Polaris SLTX 1050,
    last year it started not accelerating all the way to it's normal 70 mph. It would sputter and eventually go up to 70, but then after a few days it would no longer go 70mph.
    It seems to run ok at about 40 mph. I put new plugs and caps on it. Still didn't fix it.
    Took it to an "Authorized Dealer in my area, they were no help. They first said nothing was wrong, then it need the carbs rebuilt, then the computer, the other electrical problem...none of that fixed it.
    They had it all summer and then said it "might be the stator" but they weren't sure, I already had $500 in it and they wanted $700 more to see if it "might be the stator", I declined and got it back in pieces.
    Anyone have any ideas....could it be the stator?
    Help me please, it only worth about $1500.

Jeff Bell
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Your 70mph would be the indication on the digital MFD display, not accurately measured with a GPS. But that's OK, those MFD tend to be rather optimistic at the higher speeds.

Start with downloading the 1992-1998 Service Manual. Read through the diagnostics sections.

Do some searches and reading on here regarding the common checks to do when performance is down, and what are considered the important maintenance items to avoid problems with the Polaris 'domestic' engined models.

In your case, I would suggest starting with checking the cylinder compression. Use a proper screw in compression gauge, throttle wide open, all plugs out. Check all three cylinders in sequence, then do them all again.
    Post the numbers here, and we can work from there.

If compression is good, then you can check the stator coils with an ohm-meter, as outlined in the Service manual.

While you have the electrical box open, tell us the part number on the CDI module.

If you have one of the early CDI+stator for which the update kit applies, then this will need to be updated, even if it isn't the cause of your current problem, and it could also be the fix for your problem.

Have you had it on the water since last year?

Has it ever had water inside the hull?

If the cylinder compression is still good, then you may need to check/clean the carbs and fuel system (fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel selector valve, fuel line filter, water separator), and make sure you are getting proper fuel delivery to the engine.

You are not running old gas, are you?

Not to scare you, but it seems the most common way to damage these engines is to continue to run them when there is something not quite right, and keep on running it until the problem gets worse.

What has often happened is that the carburetors are not delivering full fuel flow to the engine. This causes the top surface of the pistons to increase in temperature, until they literally melt and burn holes through the pistons.

Once the pistons are damaged, major engine work is required to fix it, PLUS fixing the original cause of the problem, which is often as simple as cleaning the fuel filters inside the carbs.

Well Iam not very confident in the Dealer since they seemed to be stumped but I know very little about these systems.....in the end the mechanic told me that they had been in contact with "Polaris" while they were trouble shooting my machine and they were told "it must be the stator" since they had tried everything else. However, the stator suposedly test ok. The problem I have is that I simply can't afford to continue to pay for fixing and replacing parts that don't fix the problem, I originally thought it sounded like a fule problem too, but at this point it's disassembled down to the stator, my thoughts are to replace the stator and put it back together on the chance that that will fix it. Then if it doesn't take it to a differnet Dealer.

Jeff

K447, thanks

The compression was checked and are all good. The carbs were rebilt, that was the first thing they did, $350.00 didn't fix it. I don't know how through they chekced the fuel system before starting with the electrical system. They first said that, the bildge pump was blown and not completing the "curcuit", replaced that still didn't work. Then they said they replaced the computer "brain" still didn't work. So...I'm guess that they stopped at the stator...but the mechanic wanted me to pay $700 for a new stator and install but said he didn't think it would fix it but "polaris" was telling him it "must be the stator" even though it tests ok........ I'm frustrated with the service I got but I'm in it for $500 of repairs that didn't work and it's in pieces....
    Jeff

+1
    Do you recall what the RPM's were when you had it running at "40" ? I also wouldn't rush back to that mechanic, for an authorized dealer, they seem to be having alot of trouble doing general diagnostic procedures.

send your stator to jetskisolutions.com and they will test your stator out for a small fee. If it needs fixing, they can do that or then you can do the updated one if you'd like.

Talking New here

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bell View Post
    I have a 1996 Polaria SLTX 1050, last year it started not accelerating all the way to it's noraml 70 mph. It would sputter and enventually go up to 70, but then after a few days it would no longer go 70mph. It semms to run ok at about 40 mph. I put new plugs and caps on it. Still didn't fix it. Took it to an "Authorized Dealer in my area, they were no help. They first said nothing was wrong, then it need the carbs rebuilt, then the computer, the other electrical problem...none of that fixed it. They had it all summer and then saud it "might be the stator" but they weren't sure, I already had $500 in it and they wanted $700 more to see if it "might be the stator", I declined and got it back in pieces. Anyone have any ideas....could it be the stator? Help me please, it only worth about $1500.

Jeff Bell

Hi , Jeff
    I just open my new shop ,in AL and right now have one the polaris 1050 sltx in my bay ....We have seem a few of theses jet ski's...same problem .
    I have Taken my engine out ...and removed the flywheel ...too see and check the stator ....my has rust all over it....Not good.
    I have replaced my bendix ...starting problem ...that's fine now.
    I have check all fuel line going to carbs...ok
    Plus Removed the CDI Box to check fuses they was fine.
    Anyway if you have fixed your , jet ski what fixed it?
    Im going start mine up today...hope she runs out.

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bamajetski View Post
    ...I just open my new shop in AL and right now have one the Polaris 1050 sltx in my bay ....We have seen a few of these jet ski's...same problem.
    I have Taken my engine out ...and removed the flywheel ...too see and check the stator ....mine has rust all over it....Not good.
    I have replaced my Bendix ...starting problem ...that's fine now.
    I have check all fuel line going to carbs...ok
    Plus Removed the CDI Box to check fuses they was fine.
    Anyway if you have fixed your, jet ski what fixed it?
    I'm going start mine up today...
    Welcome to the Hulk!

What year is your SLTX 1050?
    Does it have the grey Tempo brand fuel lines?

did you get the updated stator ?

first off id see if you got spark on all 3 clys ,

then check compresion ,

then make sure the plugs are withing .028-.032 gap ,

see if the fuel/water sep. screen has any crap in it as well as the tiny ones in the carbs ,

the cdi is the last thing you should replace since they cant be tested

but i dk bud seems like fuel lines at first but id invest 20 $ and get new stuff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information