Exclamation FYI: Trailer Lighting Issue.

Just a FYI for you guys:

I had a problem this past sunday with my trailer lights. Everytime I hit the brake the all the lights on the trailer would light up and the brake lights would stay lit up if i put the running lights on.

Brand new LED lights BTW.

Turns out when I opened the one light up there was a bad solder job on the one terminal. The stranded wire had a few loose strands that didn't get soldered and they were hitting the other terminal. I fixed that issue by wrangling the few loose strands together and put some liquid electric tape on them.

All is good now, BUT I sell these lights and I had a few laying around in my office. I cracked some of them open to see how the solder jobs looked in them and they ALL had the same issue. I have several different samples of different brands that I was able to look at, and they all had a strand or two of the wire that didn't get soldered.

PLEASE CHECK THIS ON YOUR LIGHTS! You don't want your lights going faulty and causing you to get pulled over or, worse, have a accident because of faulty lights.

Bringing this back up to the top.... Just something for you guys to check out while getting your stuff ready for the season

+1
    Maybe this year I'll have working trailer lights and not pray while driving down the highway that I wont get rear ended.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 04RXP22 View Post
    ...when I opened the one light up there was a bad solder job on the one terminal. The stranded wire had a few loose strands that didn't get soldered and they were hitting the other terminal. I fixed that issue by wrangling the few loose strands together and put some liquid electric tape on them.

...I sell these lights and I had a few laying around in my office. I cracked some of them open to see how the solder jobs looked in them and they ALL had the same issue. I have several different samples of different brands that I was able to look at, and they all had a strand or two of the wire that didn't get soldered...
    Could you post a few photos showing how you opened the lamps up (I though many/most LED lights were completely factory sealed)?

What brand(s) were these?

Sorry Boss... I just now saw this...

These were an off brand of light called Jammy

They where LED, but the LED unit just laid into the body of the light and were wired to the stud in the back for ground....

These lights were junk... long gone and in the trash can.

Thread Information