+1

05 rxp high temp warning

Hey everybody. I'm new to your forum and i could use some of your imput.
    I have an 05 rxp with about 23 hrs. on it. I installed a stage II kit on it at around 18 hrs.;also a themostat kit. It runs great. I hav'nt gps't it yet, and it still indicates 70 mph on the speedo, but feels significantly quicker and faster. After a couple of hours of riding after the stage II was installed the high temp warning came on and i could smell coolant. I imeadiatly shut it down and nothing was so warm that you could'nt lay your hand on it. Turns out that I had neglected to tighten the hose that goes directly to the thermostat housing/coolant pump. Tightened that, cleaned up the mess, refilled with coolant by filling through the overflow/coolant resevour bottle. Everything seems cool and i've put a couple of hours on since that episode. The only thing is that every once in a while the high temp warning comes on. This can happen at a cruise. high speed, or shortly after start up. Shutting the ski down and imeadiatly re-starting takes the warning away and the ski does'nt seem hot. The coolant level is still at the proper level in the bottle. Any thoughts ?
    Thanks

+1
    Pull the "out" hose off the intercooler and connect a garden hose to backflush, that has worked for me.

+1
    It's probably the sensor in the waterbox check hose clamps. Some people take it out of the waterbox and attach to the exhaust hose with tie tie.

+1
    Thanks for both of your replys.
    Indy. Sorry for this novice question. After pulling the out hose off the intercooler, am i to attatch the garden hose to the intercooler or to the out hose it self ?;and what does this do to help with the temp warning ?
    Thanks.

Read this post on the problems and solutions to my h-temp situation.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6565

Run in 5 foot or deeper water or get ready to suck up everything off the bottom. Idiling out of shallows is critical or these skis will pick of anything in the pumps path.

At this point..if your getting an H-temp as soon as you start it, somethings clogged up. With that said, its time to remove hoses, and start running compressed air or water through them. Remove your Inlet hose and Intercooler, disconnect your outlet hose. I would not suggest you force water into your outlet hose off the intercooler that goes up to the manifold because I am not sure if water could easily enter your block if it fills up without starting the ski. Also, if you still try this and the clog is in the j-pipe after the manifold you may really heat things up and cause damage.

After removing the inlet hose to the IC, blow compressed air back down towards the pump. maybe add a little water and then hit the air gun. Look at your strainer, the pump and prop from both sides looking for anything. You can take the strainer off the pump but make sure you have the right socket for the job. The strainer nut is total plastic. I'd order one and have it on hand just in case you decide to remove it....

Then check your IC. With it out, I rigged up a t-valve , c-clamp and 3/4 hose to a garden hose and ran water through it. starting slowly with pressure and just increasing. my water pressure is not high enough down here to make enough force that an IC line would blow. I just ran some warm water through it and cleaned it out.

Now remove your j-pipe that heads down into your Waterbox. The J-Pipe is jacketed so water dosent actually run through the exhaust of the pipe, ...only around it through the smaller hoses above and below. block off a few of those holes with some small hose and clamps or maybe just puting your hand over two if them and blowing air into the last one. Also look at where the J-pipe goes into the Waterbox. you will see three small holes there. Make very sure they are clear.

When you reinstall the J-pipe, make sure not to use a clamp in the middle of your hose gasket so that these small holes are blocked in any way.

After you check everything and your satisfied that all is clear, reinstall it all and double check that all hoses are secure and there are no harsh bends in the hoses ,go take a ride. If it still h-temp alarms, change out your exhaust sensor. Also, after a total heat up of the ski and a cool down, go over all your clamps again as when things tend to expand and contract ..they might loosen up.

Yeah, its a lot of work, but that should do it at our level of expertise. If its more then all this, take it to a professional, or maybe a smarter individual in here can add more to this.

There's a lot of discussion on placing a filter/strainer on the inlet hose side before the IC, but that's personal preference and another discussion thread to search out.

Parts to possibly change out:
    278001016 Liquid Temperature Sensor
    267000057 Plug (strainer in pump)

Best of luck!

Will

Thread Information