Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Leaving Seadoo in water for summer?

My stepfather is looking at buying an inexpensive three seater($2000 or less) to keep in the marina next to his 30 foot Searay so he can run around the marina visiting and the occasional ride out to Lake Huron.

He is planning on leaving it in the water. I know this is not recommended, but I also know people do it. What are some of the major implications and what preventative measures can be taken.

This is fresh water and in Canada. Three months max probably.

I am looking at a 1995 or 1996 GTX.

+1
    I have seen a lot of skis sink from "sitting" in the water,I dont recommend it but if your gonna do it install a auto bilge pump.

+1
    Good idea. I will put a Deka sealed battery in it too. How often do the auto bilge pumps cycle? How long would the ski have to sit without being ridden before the battery is drained?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    Good idea. I will put a Deka sealed battery in it too. How often do the auto bilge pumps cycle? How long would the ski have to sit without being ridden before the battery is drained?
    Get one that activates by a float.

use it as often as you can e.g. if you don't ride it one day make sure you run it the next day it'll stop moss from growing on the bottom..

Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    My stepfather is looking at buying an inexpensive three seater($2000 or less) to keep in the marina next to his 30 foot Searay so he can run around the marina visiting and the occasional ride out to Lake Huron.

He is planning on leaving it in the water. I know this is not recommended, but I also know people do it. What are some of the major implications and what preventative measures can be taken.

This is fresh water and in Canada. Three months max probably.

I am looking at a 1995 or 1996 GTX.
    I've let mine sit in a lake for 2 weeks with no problems. People on our lake leave them in the water all summer. Auto bilge pumps cycle at 20 seconds or 2.5 minutes for the automatics or with a float switch, whenever the switch is tripped.

Stop Obama Express
    Factory service manual for my 96 XP (and all other models including your gtx) says in BOLD PRINT "DO NOT STORE IN WATER!"

If you are riding it every day, it should be fine but if you are not.... then i can see corrosion and gowths on the hull happening.

They obviously put it in there for a reason....just my 2 cents

+1
    i have a friend that leaves his in the water for the entire summer. he sometimes doesn't get to the cottage for 3 weeks. other than the odd dead battery, he has had no issues in the past 3-4 years. i keep recommending an ez dock, but he hasn't gotten around to it yet.

I left 2 of my skis in the water quite a bit last year. When I pulled them out had alot of growth on the hull. In fact that is why I pulled them because I noticed a big drop in speed due to this growth. I also had some corrosion on the aluminum nozzles and ride plates. I live on a canal that is brackish so that explains the issues I had. They won't stay in the water more than a couple days at a time this year and once I rig up a couple bunkboards on the bank that I can winch them up on they won't stay in at all. If your stepdad has a way to put in a ski dock or some sort of lift I would reccomend it. That growth can be a pain to clean off and if nothing else it's one less thing to worry over.
    Last edited by Blackhardt; 05-27-2008 at 07:25 AM.

go to harbor freight and buy one of those lifts for the back of a pick up mount it to the boat and hoist it up. I am not saying this will work but it is an idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information