2000 Polaris Genesis FFI-No Spark HELP

Hello everyone. I told myself i would try this forum before i have to spend another $600 on my ski. I have a 2000 Genesis FFI and have no spark on all 3 coils. I allready replaced the stator-no joy. They told me that it's the cdi box, but there was no part# for the whole thing so I replaced the circuit board that was in there and the "start/stop/cutoff switch"- still no joy. Just paid a mechanic $150 for him to take a look and he told me it's the EMM. He said it's getting power in but not out. Does anyone else knows if he's right or he just playing around. I found a place "DFI" technologies somewher in Alabama that rebuilds the EMM's for $540 + shipping. Does anyone else knows a place that would do it cheaper of someone that has a used EMM. Please help. I've been working on this ski for over 4 months allready. Any, help would be nice.

+1
    Rogaty, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums.
    Once you get the rebuilt EMM (If that's your problem) you may have to have the injectors calibrated to the EMM. I'm not sure if anything changes when they make their repairs. I can tell you if you have a fuel delivery issue with the EMM or replace/swap injectors, getting them calibrated to the EMM is a must.
    Have you tested the stator after installation to make sure it's not defective and is the same person who told you it was a stator telling you it's the EMM??
    I guess I'm just trying to figure out why the stator was replaced.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogaty17 View Post
    ...I have a 2000 Genesis FFI and have no spark on all 3 coils.
    I already replaced the stator-no joy.
    They told me that it's the cdi box, but there was no part# for the whole thing so I replaced the circuit board that was in there and the "start/stop/cutoff switch"- still no joy.
    Just paid a mechanic $150 for him to take a look and he told me it's the EMM. He said it's getting power in but not out.
    Does anyone else knows if he's right or he just playing around.
    I found a place "DFI" technologies somewhere in Alabama that rebuilds the EMM's for $540 + shipping. Does anyone else knows a place that would do it cheaper of someone that has a used EMM.
    Please help. I've been working on this ski for over 4 months already. Any help would be nice.
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Have you downloaded the 2002 Service Manual?
    Most things will be very similar to your 2000, but there may be a few differences.

You have the fuel injected motor, not carburetors - correct?
    As far as I know, there is no CDI in the Ficht models, just the EMM module and the voltage+Start/Stop regulator.

I think DFI is the company that can check and repair these EMM modules. If there is nothing wrong with the EMM, I think they have a policy of not charging for the test.

If you can borrow an EMM from any other three cylinder Ficht Virage or Genesis, that would be an easy test.

The EMM contains fuel flow mapping info for each injector, so even if another EMM gets it started, you will need to have the fuel flow info for your injectors programmed into the replacement EMM.

If the old EMM is alive enough, they can read the fuel injector flow data out, and just save it to the new one. If the old EMM is too far gone, then I think they need to flow test the injectors, and create and program new fuel flow maps into the replacement EMM.

OR, buy a set of injectors with matching EMM, install that, and sell your current injectors.

For the same reason, injectors cannot be swapped from cylinder to cylinder, as each one has a unique fuel flow map.

Respected companies that know the Polaris Ficht system include Randy at Watcon.com, and Jay at AltanticPowersports.com

There are also a few members on here that know how to diagnose the Ficht system. I am still learning about these systems.

+1
    Rogarty,
    DFI will check your EMM .if there are no problems you only pay for freight to and from .That is what they told me .Do you know if your fuel pump is running when you crank the engine ?You can hold the fuel line and crank it over you will feel the line expand or you may hear the buzzing of the fuel pump .It only lasts a second or two after you stop cranking .We need to find out if the emm is getting the right signal .I have 5 of these and have done quite a few hrs and to this stage have not had an emm go bad .There is an item called a LR module.This gets a signal from the engine rpm sensor to tell it to allow the engne to start .So hence the question of fuel pump status .if we have fuel pump operation on cranking we have signal to computer .Do you have a multimeter ?If not get one, a cheap one will do .If you have a coil that has gone south it can cause the whole spark system to crash ,especially if it is shorted to earth .Check the values of the engine coils and make sure they are ok .Use Ohms and follow the manual you can download from this site .Get back to us and we will see if we can't get you off the anti depressants and back on the water .

Bernie

Hey Bernie. Yes I do have a pressure in the fuel lines. Is the LR5 module you are talking about, located in the cdi box-the little box that's right behind the circuit board inside the CDI box. If that is it then i allready replaced it with a brand new one from polaris and still no joy. What do you reccomend next.
    Thanx

+1
    Have you checked the coil resistance to earth on the ignition coils ?Follow the manual and get back to me .A dead short on 1 coil will stop all of the coils from getting signals

Bernie

Hi,
    I have the same model PWC and it will not start also. I used the info here and found that the fuel pume is not running. I checked the Start/Stop and stop switches, they are OK. I checked the coils resistance, they are OK. Where do I go from here? Is there something I can check inside the LR unit?
    The PWC is in Reedville Va. and I can't find any dealers who service it.

Thanks, Andy

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ab750 View Post
    Hi,
    I have the same model PWC and it will not start also.
    I used the info here and found that the fuel pump is not running.
    I checked the Start/Stop and stop switches, they are OK.
    I checked the coils resistance, they are OK.
    Where do I go from here? Is there something I can check inside the LR unit?
    The PWC is in Reedville Va. and I can't find any dealers who service it...
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Have you checked the fuses (or circuit breakers)?
    Made sure the electrical connector at the fuel pump is not loose, or broken?

Does it crank when you press start?
    You have the safety lanyard in place?

Download the 2002 Polaris Service Manual, which should be similar to what your 2000 is.

Look at the diagnostics information.

On my 2002 Virage TXi, the fuses are located inside splice connections in the wire harness, while the circuit breakers are little push buttons with clear plastic caps;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5200022.JPG 
Views:	660 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	77448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5119896.JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	77449  

+1
    Rogarty ,what did you find?
    AB 750 ,welcome ,can you start a thread on your own? .It is confusing to have extra problems on the one thread .

Bernie

Thread Information