Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Exclamation More info on RXP-X stuffing

I just got off the water and had my first encounter with the RXP-X stuffing issue. Around 5 hours (on the ski) ago I cut the side wings off of my stock intake grate. I now have 10 hours on the ski and just now experienced the first signs of stuffing. Guys I was only going about 69 mph, I wasn't even close to top speed. It took all my strength not to go over the bars. Mid section is a little sore and maybe some strained tendons in my wrist and forearms.

Nobody has really reported on the conditions they have had the stuff, but now I can. The lake I ride on has been really calm leading up to this holiday weekend and I have been riding in more or less smooth water (slight ripple at most) and never experienced the stuff. Now with the choppy waters I felt the first effects. I believe that the varying amounts of water and air entering the pump at random times may induce the pump stuff more so than a constant flow of water in smooth water. Beachbum ran almost 80 mph with the stock cut grate.

I got lucky. Fortunatley, I ordered a new stock P-X intake grate from Jerry 2 weeks ago that is sitting on my shelf. I'm done with the cut grate and will be putting the OEM back on.

I know this is old news but I thought I would offer a little more insight into the conditions the stuff may occur.

Glad you are here to share that with us.

Have you drilled the holes?

What abotu a riva or RD grate?

+1
    Glad you are okay.

Please do yourself a favor and drill the holes. They will save your ass one day and will cause no adverse reaction from being there.

I highly recommend to anyone with an RXP-X that they drill the holes as mentioned in this thread
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57459

+1
    also guys i want to tell you that a grate will not completely prevent overstuff so if some of you guys are thinking that you will bolt up a Riva or R&D grate and it's going to solve your problem i would not count on it.

I hate to see one of you guys get seriously injured from getting ejected. A high speed get off is no laughing matter above 70 mph.

Guys, please drill the holes! The holes are drill in my fast RXP and also my GPRXP. I would NOT be going this fast without them!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    also guys i want to tell you that a grate will not completely prevent overstuff so if some of you guys are thinking that you will bolt up a Riva or R&D grate and it's going to solve your problem i would not count on it.

I hate to see one of you guys get seriously injured from getting ejected. A high speed get off is no laughing matter above 70 mph.

Guys, please drill the holes! The holes are drill in my fast RXP and also my GPRXP. I would NOT be going this fast without them!
    thanks Jerry!!!!!!!!!

+1
    and for those not wanting to drill holes thru your pretty new grate just remove the grate, drill the holes thru the shoe and then reinstall the grate. The excessive pump pressure will bleed out around the back of the grate. Nobody would even though the holes were there this way.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    More info?????

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsntx View Post
    More info?????
    read the sticky post at the top of this section.... i also put a link in my above post.

+1
    Jerry--Got my Riva grate the other day and the HOLES ARE DRILLED. Many thanks for your insight and concern.
    Last edited by Sundance; 05-24-2008 at 09:48 PM.

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    we are nearing completion on our turbo rxp-x and we need to do something to make it safe at over 80 as we were running 77-78 with the s/c at 13.7 psi and want to run the turbo at 16-18 so we should easily be at 80,
    Jerry on the gp's what speeds did they overstuff and what speeds do they run now? just trying to work out what sort of a "buffer" drilling holes might give as i would think if you start to suff at say 80 then drill holes they may only be effective up to 85? as the faster you go the pressure will increase and over stuff the holes as well.
    We run various grates mainly a stock with wings for hookup and closed down a bit at the rear and have tried rxt with a closed rear but was the same speed but cavitated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information