+1

'97 XP question..

Looking at a '97 xp. Dont know much about them. Guy said it was a '98, but its a 800 carb - so I am guessing its a '97? Are the 951 the way to go or is the 800 decent?

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    IMO, the first 951 motors were timebombs. blew 13 of them before giving up..

the 785 motor is a solid engine that can take a beatting. A bit slower but more reliable.

+1
    agreed.
    The 787 is a very durable motor. I had a 97 xp for a few years and sold it to a friend who's run it for a few years now...
    It's no speed demon though...

+1
    I had a 98 xp (says on the title), but the hull id number has a 97 at the end. It also had a 800 motor in it. Confused the heck out of me also.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayohentran View Post
    I had a 98 xp (says on the title), but the hull id number has a 97 at the end. It also had a 800 motor in it. Confused the heck out of me also.
    The reason why is they had so many left over they sold them in 98 too. When BRP didn't finish the 951 in time they had to dump the 800 in it at the last minute. Nobody wanted to go slower than the previous year's 96 XP so sales sucked.

The easy way to know is, if the hull is yellow top and bottom it's an 800 engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    The reason why is they had so many left over they sold them in 98 too. When BRP didn't finish the 951 in time they had to dump the 800 in it at the last minute. Nobody wanted to go slower than the previous year's 96 XP so sales sucked.

The easy way to know is, if the hull is yellow top and bottom it's an 800 engine.
    Ahhh thats good info. Are they worth anything on resale? Guy is looking at a ski I have for sale and wants to trade it. It sat for 3 years and crank is stuck. Very very clean otherwise - he said it only has 20-30 hours on it and it looks it.

Crank may be stuck because he hydrolocked the engine, very seldom do they stick from sitting. Pulling the head will probably confirm the engine's condition.

Resale value? I don't know. Check KBB and NADA on it, then subtract about $1500 for a new engine.

+1
    Yep pulled head off... looks mint. Seen a few have a stuck crank from moisture in the pipe. Machine looks like its only a year or two old.. really nice shape. Been stored in his garage all its life. Bores have no wear on them. But cranks stuck.. wont turn over at all. Would a very clean running 97/98 800 xp bring $2500?

Pump could very well be stuck too. Rings normally rust to the sleeves sticking the engine from pipe moisture, not the crank. Cranks get rust from being outside and the engine condenses when the inner hull temp rises faster than the engine temp, in OAT below 50 degrees. So since this hull was stored inside...that is a plus on the crank.

But...if the crank is rusted, it still has less than 10 hours before it will go boom...

Price is in the eyes of the beholder...

Thread Information