96 GTX fuel problem

Hello, just replace my wear ring with advice from people here. Thanks for that , went like a charm. Took the ski out today and ran fine for couple of hours. Then started bogging down and dieing out at anything more than idle speed. Had over half a tank of fuel but finally I switched over to the reserve and then it ran perfectly again. Went back to main tank setting, same story wouldn't run. Ran it on reserve for about another hour then it started bogging down on that as well. Went ahead and brought it in, didn't want to get caught out in middle of lake. Definitely fuel starvation but don't know where to start. Thanks for any advice.

getting waterlogged hotrod_sxty8's Avatar
    what color are the fuel lines? if they are the grey ones I would start there, then I would look into cleaning out the carb fuel filters (they are inside the carbs) and the fuel selector switch you can use carb cleaner for cleaning out the selector switch just wear safety glasses.
    if your ski does have the grey lines I highly reccomend changing them out asap.

Definitely has the gray color fuel lines. Lots of em, is it difficult to change them out? Have never done anything to the carbs, again how tough to get in to them to clean filters? How do you take the fuel selector switch out to clean it? Thanks for the help

+1
    What Hotrod said.

will post more in a few minutes...I'm having fuel/spark issues right now and before I forget all the sypmtoms (sp) I need to ask some advise...lol

ok to pull the selector valve let me go look at mine real quick.....
    I'm back...lol
    ok if you look at the valve there is a little circle right in the middle of it it's a lil smaller than a dime this is a screw cover you will need a small flat tip screwdriver to pry it off under that is a screw you need to take off to get the plastic/switch part off now under that is a nut I'm not sure what size it is you will have to hold the selector valve on the inside of the hull with your hand while loosening the nut. this will get the selector valve off and just do the opposite to put it back on.

now for the fuel lines I reccomend that you do one line at a time this makes it a bit less confusing. and you can mark each one as you take them off with masking tape and a sharpie! so get your tape a marker some side cut wire cutters and a camera wouldn't hurt either that way you can look at the pics you took of the lines you took off wait you didn't take any pics????whoops maby I should have mentioned the camera before...lol
    your gonna need fuel line and a bunch of small stainless hose clamps I think 20 or so feet of line is enough ( I got mine for free so I didn't measure it...lol) and I think it's 1/4 inch hose(might be 5/16ths)
    ok here goes, you need to empty the fuel tank out not completly but enough to pull the tank foreward to get to the sending unit (it's the thingy on top of the fuel tank with all the hoses!) now get the retaining rubber straps off the tank. and see of the tank will slide foreward you might have to acess the sender thru the little storage pocket ( you know the one where you keep the keys...lol)now if the fuel gauge is working you don't really need to pull the sender if it's not working see the sticky about that.

now get your camera and take a pic of the sender if you wish. if not get the tape out and tear off some strips long enough to go around the fuel lines and still have some sticking off to mark on, now number the lines 1-4 or howevermany there are( I don't remember right now)

ok now start tracing the lines to where they go (hint: some are going to the selector and some to the carbs) some of them are vents too.
    and most of them are going to end up going thru some rubber coated holders I forget what they are called but it's not important.

now get some more tape ready, and trace the lines you can start anywhere you like so we'll start at the fuel tank/sender.
    now trace the #1 line to wherever it goes and put a piece of tape on the other end and label it #1 or 1a whatever is easiest for you. do this to all the lines till you have all them done, now double check every one!!!! and check them again some of them might be twisted around and it's easy to get them mixed up. easiest way is to use the pull on the hose while holding the other end (NOT THAT HOSE!!) the one in the hull!

now that we are certain which hoses go where we can start taking hoses out. now just do one at a time, this way you can take hose #1 and lay it next to the new fuel line and cut to length (you might want to add a little length because you may need to trim some off in the future . also put another piecs of tape with the same number as the one your replacing (this comes in later).
    fish the hose back thru the ski the same way it came out and thru the hose holders. and back to the fuel sender now put a clamp on it and tighten it down to the sender ( remember to rotate the clamp so it doesn't interfear with the other clamps)
    do this to all the hoses and the ones that go to the fuel selector(shutoff) don't attach them to the selector yet, get a piece of paper and write on the paper which number goes where on it. when you get all the lines to the sender replaced pull the sender/clean it and reinstall it (now the sender is cleaned and has new lines) I used electrical cleaner on mine but you can use carb cleaner just becareful and wear safety glasses that stuff can shoot out of there like a rocket

I was gonna get some pics of mine for you to reference but it's about to storm like a mother outside, if it clears up and I can get some pics I'll get some.

let me see did I leave anything out???
    oh yeah when you get all the lines done and the selector cleaned out the tank moved back into place double check you work and be amazed!!!!
    ok now re-fill the tank and try it out, it's going to take a bit of cranking to get the fuel back to the carbs and make sure you have the gas turned on...lol

hope this helps
    andyj
    Last edited by hotrod_sxty8; 05-25-2008 at 06:58 PM.

Wow Andy, a big thanks for the detailed instructions. I haven't done it yet but have printed this off and believe I can get er done. Since my initial problem seemed to be in the fuel selector whats your take on having to clean the filters in the carbs? Not opposed to doing it just don't want to do unneccessary work. (And I have not clue how to either . Anyway gonna start with the lines and cleaning the sender and selector. Thanks again, here I go.

since your going to be in there anyway and are going to have the flame arrester covers off I would suggest doing cleaning the carb filters too, and the gtx is pretty easy to get the carbs off, you just have to pull the fuel lines, pump line from the motor and the throttle linkage, oil pump cable.
    do a search on here for the mikuni carb manual and you will find detailed info on where the filters are on the carbs, wait I might have some on photobucket lemme check and see what I can dig up, I might be able to snap some pics later today of the fuel lines but this screwy weather probably wont let me....

ok the pics I have are of the carbs off my 93xp but they are pretty much the same. the first one is a side shot of the carbs still on the intake manifold, the gtx carbs will come off without having to take the manifold off but this shows where the mounting bolts are and it also shows the linkages, the upper ones are the choke plates (they are half black and white and the choke cable is already removed) this takes an allen wrench a very small one you can see it better in the other pic it's the brass nut on the lower left side of the carb( the carb is on its side in this shot), on the GTX you will need to pull the choke cable off and out of the bracket just loosen the nut on the cable carb end side, loosen the 2 allen set screws and slide the cable out, next is the throttle cable do the same with the nut loosen the nut on the carb end then hold the throttle wide open with one hand unwrap the cable from the groove now you will have to kinda work out the throttle cable end from the linkage, if you look at the right side of the pic you will see the half moon shaped linkage it has a hole in it this is where the throttle cable end hooks into the bracket just like a bicycle brake cable. now you don't really need to remove the linkage that connects the two carbs right now (it's easier to do after you get them out of the hull) ok remove the oiler cable it's almost the same as the throttle just loosen the nut a bit then unthread the threaded cable end then slide the cable thru the notch. now take off the allen bolts that hold the carbs on ( in the pics there are nuts holding the carbs on to the intake this is because the pics are of my xp carbs )and there you go...now for the filters they are inside the carbs under the end plates
    there are 4 phillips head screws on each endplate of the carbs and if you lookie up the schematic like I suggested you can see which end of the carbs you need to take off. hint it's the square end with the thicker plates the other end is the pump diaphrams and you dont wanna pull them unless absoutly necessary now the filter housing has an o-ring type gasket so be careful not to get anything into it on reassembly. now after you get the plates off you will see a small black round tube sticking out of the carb this is your filter (there is one in each carb it's in the top center of teh 2nd pic) now take a pair of needle nosed pliers and pull it out take a look if you see any gummy green or clear junk this is the insides of your old fuel lines that have degraded and made it to the carbs. clean the filters with carb cleaner and put them back in and you should be good to go.....please keep in mind I'm just going off memory right now and since it has decided to endlessly pour down rain I can't get out to look to make sure(I'm diying to get out there anyway I have to work on my GTX today so I can get it wet again) the only thing I didn't cover was the cable brackets I can't remember right now how they are situated so your on your own at this point...lol
    now on to the pics...

Last edited by hotrod_sxty8; 05-26-2008 at 08:38 AM.

Thanks again hotrod andy! I know it takes a while to type all this and post the pics, so much appreciated. Sorry for the rain, 95* and sunshine here (DFW) but no ski running so its the pool today and work on ski for next weekend. Will post my results later. Happy Memorial day.

Thread Information