Info on 2000 slx.

Well, Since early spring I've been looking for something to replace my 93sl650, and since that time I've had nothing but bad luck with it. I'm getting very fusterated and kind of just want to cut my losses on it. Today I'm going to look at a 2000 slx locally.

WHat do I need to know / look out for on this particular ski.

Also, how is perfromance on the 2000 slx vs the 97 pro 785? I've ridden the pro many times, and that thing feels amazing. Will the 2000 be anything along those lines? I know that both models have 135hp, but thats about it.

Oh, the price on this is 2500bo with trailer, both in good condition.

+1
    First things first, either one is going to blow away your old 650. Clean that 650 up, take it to a taxidermist and get her put on display...you won't be needing it anymore.

The price on the SLX sounds good, check that thing over though..compression, fuel hoses, water hoses, drive pump. How many hours does it have?

Okay, now onto other things. The SLX is not like the Pro 785. The Pro 785 will accelerate faster because of the tripple pipes, but with that said, the SLX has great acceleration. SLX should be a tad faster on the top end than the pro. The big difference is in the ride. The SLX is playful and forgiving, the Pro 785 is glued to the water and will make any turn you tell to make. The question is not if the ski can make the turn, it is if you can make it through the turn with the ski...

With the SLX you can do 360's and throw around the back end, which you cant do with the Pro.

Both awesome boats....I have one of each!

Awesome. Thats exactly the response I was looking for. I love my 650 because of the haul design and being able to mess around on it without being thrown 40ft off of it (like on my dads kawa ssxi). I'm going to look at it tomorrow now. Better not sell before then . I assume that there is alot of aftermarket for this ski, seeing that its the same engine as the pro 1200?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbgb22 View Post
    Awesome. Thats exactly the response I was looking for.
    I love my 650 because of the hull design and being able to mess around on it without being thrown 40ft off of it (like on my dads kawa ssxi).
    I'm going to look at it tomorrow now. Better not sell before then .
    I assume that there is a lot of aftermarket for this ski, seeing that its the same engine as the pro 1200?
    Your SL650 has a Fuji engine, while all the 1997 and later Polaris use a domestic engine (except for the PRO785).

All the Polaris 1200s use the same 1165cc engine, with the exception of the MSX 140 (1192cc).

Some 1200 models have different carbs, some have Ficht fuel injection (mainly the Virage TXi & Genesis i).

There are triple pipe sets made for the Polaris 1200, but they are rare to find.

What some have done with their older Fuji powered Polaris ski is keep it around as a 'learning' PWC, and something to loan friends who don't have their own. If they break something or even sink it, you won't be facing a huge financial loss.

So, is there a decent amount of aftermarket parts available for the 00 slx's? I just want to make sure I can keep myself entertained after I get bored of it in its stock condition haha.

+1
    theres plenty of things you can do you just need very deep pockets to do them

+1
    parts are pretty much readily available. You can still order them direct through Polaris until they run out, which who knows how long that will take, and a lot of the basic stuff like gaskets people continue to make.

Dont let parts availability hold you back from buyin an SLX...you can pretty much find anything here. Same with a pro 785.

Well, I looked at the ski this morning. It Looked clean, started right up and seemed to run nice in his driveway. His price was 2500 bo. After looking it over, I offered him 2100 and he seemed to jump on it.

The only thing that seemed flackey was that he lived 2 miles from the Niagara River, I asked him to take it for a ride before I payed and he wanted no part of it.

I told him I needed to figure out a loan and didnt leave a deposit and left. So what does everyone think of this situation?

+1
    I would want to test ride to if he lived that close to the river seems alittle shady to me

Thread Information