Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry Rocks plus my pump means I need your help

Ski: 2006 RXP

So it never fails, first day of the season and my ski broke. Leaving a friends shore I fired up the ski to soon and some rocks got sucked into the pump. I could clearly hear them in there but managed to dislodge them with a little throttle. After clearing the rocks the pump was cavitating badly, yet another price of debris cleared and I was able to operate at fairly normal condition. The ski is still cavitating badly and not working right. So I then decided to stop and pull it all out of the water.

I pulled the pump off no problem. On first observation the prop seems ok. Few nicks and scratches but no bends, chips major damage. My first sign of trouble was the wear ring slid right out. Secondly the wear ring appears to be badly gouged. Everything else on the pump seems to be ok. My next sign of trouble was in the pump tunnel. Right where the pump mates to the tunnel there are about 10 plastics tabs that encircle in inside of the tunnel. These tabs appear to be all damaged and worn down.

So I'm not sure where my problem lies. I hope I was descripive enough. Please help!

Ryan

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    get a new wear ring and cut and file down the other veins (thats what the fins are).

you either have all the veins or none, from what I've read. So, once one or two are gone, you want the rest gone too.

should be ok after that.

+1
    What Sean said... though I can tell you from experience sanding the fins down does not always remove the cavitation problem. I am actually having my pump shoe replaced in hopes to resolve my problem.

Dont judge me...
    I would check the pitch on the prop too even tho it "looks" to be ok....

Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post
    What Sean said... though I can tell you from experience sanding the fins down does not always remove the cavitation problem. I am actually having my pump shoe replaced in hopes to resolve my problem.
    Great so my pump shoe might need to be replaced, that does not look cheap. I guess on the plus side the veins in my shoe are all equally worn down. There isnt one that is a all out break off.

This sucks. What can I expect if the shoe needs to be replaced?

+1
    My ski is being dropped off on Tuesday for the shoe replacement. Its costing me 800 bucks.

If I were you I would try and grind them down 1st and maybe it will take care of the issue for you. Its only an hour or 2 of your time and can save you a ton of cash.

The fins serve no purpose. They will not be your cavitation issue. Mine are broke and chipped, and not in any even manner, and I still have the same RPM's. I don't believe all skis even had the fins. Replace your wear ring and have your impeller checked. Don't just replace your wear ring without checking the impeller. If your impeller isn't right, it will rip through your new wear ring.

+1
    The guy I bought my RXT from had the same problem. He sent the impeller to Impros http://www.impros.com/ to have it checked/fixed and installed the stainles wear ring. All good now. Good luck.

+1
    The fins do serve a purpose and all RXP's up till 2008 have them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
    get a new wear ring and cut and file down the other veins (thats what the fins are).

you either have all the veins or none, from what I've read. So, once one or two are gone, you want the rest gone too.

should be ok after that.

100% correct....You either want all the veins or none of the veins.You will have NO ill effects from cutting them out..I had to do this to my wifes RXP and she has no problem at all with cavitation.
    Quote Originally Posted by YJSONLY View Post
    I would check the pitch on the prop too even tho it "looks" to be ok....

Exactly..Chances are you bent a blade..Maybe not but you should check or have them checked out to be sure..
    Quote Originally Posted by rdm190 View Post
    Great so my pump shoe might need to be replaced,

I highly doubt it..If you could post a pic we could probley tell ya but unless yoou put a hole in it, you shouldnt need to replace it...Just cut/file down ALL the sharks teeth and you should be OK

that does not look cheap.

No its not..

I guess on the plus side the veins in my shoe are all equally worn down. There isnt one that is a all out break off.

Doesnt matter..If they are broke then you should grind them completely out...Unless you want to take the time to measure and grind them down to the same height...Its much easyier and less frustrating to take them completely out...

This sucks. What can I expect if the shoe needs to be replaced?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information