Factory catch can bone dry??????

Knowing my crankcase was overfilled twice by the dealer (when new and last time in when rep looked at it for GIO), I decided to pull the intercooler to see if it needed cleaning again. When I pulled it, the catch can was as dry as if it had never seen a drop of fluid in it's entire life, not even evidence of the hoses ever passing any fluid, none of them...

I have waited on getting the R&D kit pending real world feedback...

As the factory catch can is bone dry, what can I assume? Is a smart assumption that maybe the factory crankcase breather has been plugged solid with silicone since day one?

Before I go into pulling the breather, does anybody have any other ideas or suggestions?

Was there anything in the intercooler? A quick check to see if you have the GIO problem or if there is anything else getting back into the catch can is to add a section of clear hose onto the drain and raise it higher then the can. Then you can visually see what is collecting in the catch can. See my picture below. As you can see after just one 30 mile run I have major blow-by gas condensing in the catch can (which would have drained back to the oil pan).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	161_6152.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	918.5 KB 
ID:	74602   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	161_6153.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	74603  

I definately have GIO based on oil analysis. Every seven hours or so it's at about 6% fuel in oil. The inside of the can and lower outlet of can are not even stained, it looks like new raw aluminum...

I'm stumped. I may add clear line as you suggest, but it appears as if nothing is going to the can to begin with...

Thanks for the input !!!

+1
    Order new gaskets and just check your breather. If you have small hands and you are nimble you may be able to pull it without removing the exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by JWilson View Post
    Order new gaskets and just check your breather. If you have small hands and you are nimble you may be able to pull it without removing the exhaust.

Thanks JWilson. I don't have small hands, but having owned multiple late model Camaros it prepares you to work on anything !!! It also makes you buy a lot of crazy tools for accessing stuff you normally would pay someone to do...

+1
    Do you have a manual? It only takes 4 bolts 8mm if I remember correctly. When you get it out let me know and I will tell you how to modify it.

+1
    Last edited by spaulding; 05-25-2008 at 07:18 PM.

Great, thanks. I plan on riding tomorrow and probably mess with it next weekend...

It's gonna be rough tomorrow, going out with a few GPR's that kick my ass in the smooth, but tomorrow will be a different story

Would it be a good idea to add a piece of clear hose to the catch can of a 2008 250x?

Yes, by adding the clear hose and creating a loop, it allows you to see if anything is collecting in the catch can. You can also determine if gas, oil, or water is collecting.

Thread Information