Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

97 SLT 700 one cylinder no spark

I picked up a 97 SLT 700. The PTO side has no spark the mag side has good spark. Did a search here and checked the stator and external coils. The stator checks out good the external coils check out good, But the side with no spark reads a little high on the secondary resistance. What should I check next?

+1
    If you're sure the stator is good the problem is going is most likely going to be inside the electrical box, sooooo I'd split the box and swap the coil wires.
    Does the spark switch to the other wire? If it doesn't you have a bad coil or possibly a bad plug wire, this is assuming you have a good set of plugs in the engine.
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 05-25-2008 at 05:30 PM.

+1
    Don't try to start the engine this way, just verify if spark has changed.
    The wires to swap are black/green and yellow/brown

Why didn't I think of that. The spark switched to the other coil when I switched the wires. So is it the trigger coil or the CDI? Thanks for the fast repy and help.

+1
    Test the stator (procedure is in the tech section) and if it checks good you know it's a bad CDI.
    If it were me, I'd just install the update kit which consists of the CDI, stator and coil.

I did the ohm meter test the other day and the stator checked out good. Can I change the stator in the ski by removing the gas tank, Or should I pull the motor?

+1
    As craft mentioned,it is probably the CDI,located in the electrical box. Check the number on the CDI,compare it to the update kit CDI # in tech section,to determine if it has been updated.

If you decide to install an update kit,YES,the stator can be replaced with engine installed.Of course it is easier to see/work with with engine removed.Individual preference?

+1
    On the twin engine in a 3 seater hull you have TOOOOONNNSS of room to replace the stator, I'd certainly do it in the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    As craft mentioned,it is probably the CDI,located in the electrical box. Check the number on the CDI,compare it to the update kit CDI # in tech section,to determine if it has been updated.

If you decide to install an update kit,YES,the stator can be replaced with engine installed.Of course it is easier to see/work with with engine removed.Individual preference?
    It is the old one. I will put in the updated kit.

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    On the twin engine in a 3 seater hull you have TOOOOONNNSS of room to replace the stator, I'd certainly do it in the boat.
    Thanks the PWC is new to me and this is the first Polaris I have ever owned. I am a Ski Doo man I run them on snow and water. Thanks again for your help! If you ever need help setting up a sled for water cross let me know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information