+1

Memorial Day - Honor those who have lost their lives

Memorial Day - Honor those who have lost thier lives
    Today is a symbolic day of reflection for those who have died in service to our Nation. God bless those who have fallen, those who are grieving, children growing up without their parent(s), loved ones missing, today I shall remain thankful for my safety, my health and those of my fellow countrymen and women...Praises to all
    Shawn

Honor those who died for our country

Yakima Herald-Republic

On this special day, as we're firing up the backyard barbecue, stoking the slumbering campfire or heeding the good advice about buckling up and driving safely on a holiday return trip, it would be a shame if the real meaning of Memorial Day was lost.

Originally designed to honor Civil War dead, the purpose of Memorial Day has expanded over the years.

According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, many people confuse Memorial Day with November's Veterans Day, since both honor people who have served in the armed forces.

Memorial Day is a day for remembering and honoring military personnel who died in the service of their country, particularly those who died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained in battle.

While those who died are also remembered on Veterans Day, Nov. 11, that day is set aside to thank and honor all those who served honorably in the military -- in wartime or peacetime. In fact, Veterans Day is largely intended to thank living veterans for their service, to acknowledge that their contributions to our national security are appreciated, and to underscore that all those who served -- not only those who died -- have sacrificed and done their duty.

On this Memorial Day, we add another twist and again pay tribute to those who served in World War II. This newspaper was privileged to chronicle the involvement of Yakima Valley people in the war and at home with a two-part section, "The War Years," published April 6 and 13. The complete multimedia package of stories, photos and audio and video recordings is still available on our Web site, www.yakimaherald.com.

One of the reasons we took on this project is that we are constantly reminded that U.S. history's most remarkable generation is rapidly disappearing. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs estimates that of the 16 million members of the American armed services who served during World War II, only about 2.6 million are still living (56,000 in Washington state), and they're dying at the rate of about 1,000 a day.

There are several memorial services and events planned by local veterans' groups throughout Central Washington. They would welcome, and we would encourage, your attendance, and your acknowledgment of what the day is really about.

But it doesn't take organized activity to get us to pause and remember all those who paid the ultimate price in the service of their country. From the Revolutionary War to the current conflict in Iraq and all the wars in between -- such sacrifice demands and deserves our respect.

We owe so many for the freedoms we all enjoy, especially those who paid the ultimate price in the service of their country.

Today is a good day to pause and reflect on that.

* Members of the Yakima Herald-Republic editorial board are Michael Shepard, Sarah Jenkins, Bill Lee and Karen Troianello

Quote Originally Posted by shawn alladio View Post
    Memorial Day - Honor those who have lost thier lives
    Today is a symbolic day of reflection for those who have died in service to our Nation. God bless those who have fallen, those who are grieving, children growing up without their parent(s), loved ones missing, today I shall remain thankful for my safety, my health and those of my fellow countrymen and women...Praises to al
    Shawn

Honor those who died for our country

Yakima Herald-Republic

On this special day, as we're firing up the backyard barbecue, stoking the slumbering campfire or heeding the good advice about buckling up and driving safely on a holiday return trip, it would be a shame if the real meaning of Memorial Day was lost.

Originally designed to honor Civil War dead, the purpose of Memorial Day has expanded over the years.

According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, many people confuse Memorial Day with November's Veterans Day, since both honor people who have served in the armed forces.

Memorial Day is a day for remembering and honoring military personnel who died in the service of their country, particularly those who died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained in battle.

While those who died are also remembered on Veterans Day, Nov. 11, that day is set aside to thank and honor all those who served honorably in the military -- in wartime or peacetime. In fact, Veterans Day is largely intended to thank living veterans for their service, to acknowledge that their contributions to our national security are appreciated, and to underscore that all those who served -- not only those who died -- have sacrificed and done their duty.

On this Memorial Day, we add another twist and again pay tribute to those who served in World War II. This newspaper was privileged to chronicle the involvement of Yakima Valley people in the war and at home with a two-part section, "The War Years," published April 6 and 13. The complete multimedia package of stories, photos and audio and video recordings is still available on our Web site, www.yakimaherald.com.

One of the reasons we took on this project is that we are constantly reminded that U.S. history's most remarkable generation is rapidly disappearing. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs estimates that of the 16 million members of the American armed services who served during World War II, only about 2.6 million are still living (56,000 in Washington state), and they're dying at the rate of about 1,000 a day.

There are several memorial services and events planned by local veterans' groups throughout Central Washington. They would welcome, and we would encourage, your attendance, and your acknowledgment of what the day is really about.

But it doesn't take organized activity to get us to pause and remember all those who paid the ultimate price in the service of their country. From the Revolutionary War to the current conflict in Iraq and all the wars in between -- such sacrifice demands and deserves our respect.

We owe so many for the freedoms we all enjoy, especially those who paid the ultimate price in the service of their country.

Today is a good day to pause and reflect on that.

* Members of the Yakima Herald-Republic editorial board are Michael Shepard, Sarah Jenkins, Bill Lee and Karen Troianello
    Why is it everytime I read your post, I come out educated and feel guilty that my RXP is not the most important thing in the world?....and Catalina Race can wait..........Jammer 1
    Last edited by Jammer 1; 05-26-2008 at 04:16 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer 1 View Post
    Why is it everytime I read your post, I come out educated and feel guilty that my RXP is not the most important thing in the world?....and Catalina Race can wait..........Jammer 1

Well Jammer, that tunnel vision is what keeps us motivated sometimes! I was shopping two days ago and saw many people who were in wheelchairs or walkers, and not old in age...there are reminders all around if we can take our eyes off our own life for just a second, it sinks in, and I think friends can remind friends that there are layers and values of life, living well. Not easy to be in that awareness 27/7. I guess that is why there are marked holidays to force us to ponder a bit..

And yeah right now cleaning my house is all I can think of, garden, dust, cooking, laundry, washing truck, sorting....it's like a huge mountain I can't seem to climb over...so one little RXP is nothing..hahah

Thread Information