Need help with turned over ski

I took out the family out yesterday ski was runing great until my spouse and my oldest fliped it over. I manage to get to them after a few minutes and turn the ski over. I brought it back to shore and checked the engine compartment and it did not have excessive water, but after take it out and running it to see if anything was wrong I discover that in my low end I am having horrible response to were it bogs down and shuts off, good indicator that I need to look at the carbs, I have seen that Mikuni has a repair manual out the does anyone have a PDF copy that I could use. There is some water in the fuel separator, is that an indicator that there is water in the engine? What should I do? Am I looking into an overhaul? I am also looking for someone that sells throttle trigger
    I know atlanticjetsport has them, but I rather buy from someone from the GH, have to support this forum.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jlaracuente View Post
    I took out the family out yesterday ski was runing great until my spouse and my oldest fliped it over. I manage to get to them after a few minutes and turn the ski over. I brought it back to shore and checked the engine compartment and it did not have excessive water, but after take it out and running it to see if anything was wrong I discover that in my low end I am having horrible response to were it bogs down and shuts off, good indicator that I need to look at the carbs, I have seen that Mikuni has a repair manual out the does anyone have a PDF copy that I could use. There is some water in the fuel separator, is that an indicator that there is water in the engine? What should I do? Am I looking into an overhaul? I am also looking for someone that sells throttle trigger
    I know atlanticjetsport has them, but I rather buy from someone from the GH, have to support this forum.
    There is a Mikuni rebuilt PDF on the SBT web site.

Which way was the ski rotated to right it? The direction shown on the rear of the ski, or the wrong way? If turned the wrong way, water from the exhaust can get int o he engine, AND the carbs can ingest water as they are dipped down. The correct rotation lowers the exhaust, and raises the carbs as the boat is turned over.

You should check compression and crank index. If there was water inside the engine when you tried to start it, the water can damage things, because it doesn't compress.

Water in the separator means water in the fuel tank. You need to get that water out, and you may need to drain all the fuel, as some water can get absorbed into the gas.
    Last edited by K447; 05-27-2008 at 08:04 PM.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    First, fog the engine right away to prevent rusting if water did enter the engine.

Next remove the spark plugs and crank the engine over. See if water sprays out the plug holes. Do this until it's dry.

Remove the water in the seperator. Look to see if the seperator fills up with water, indicating if water entered the fuel tank.

Remove all water, and give her a shot again. Let us know what you find.

Ok, drained tank, lil bit of water, taking tank out an letting dry overnight, took out one plug at a time to see if there is water in the engine and there is nothing spraying out, i put plugs back on and left them loose, cranked engine and small amounts of dark fluid comes out, not sure what it is.... any thoughts on that.

Checked compression MAG: 130, CEN:131, PTO: 130

Drained fuel separator, and checked fuel filter for water, there is a little bit of water, should I remove fuel lines and use compressed air to finish removing water.....

Should I put seafoam in engine, will it help my situation......

Can I get further thoughts from the GH super savy folks............

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jlaracuente View Post
    Ok, drained tank, lil bit of water, taking tank out an letting dry overnight,
    took out one plug at a time to see if there is water in the engine and there is nothing spraying out,
    i put plugs back on and left them loose, cranked engine and small amounts of dark fluid comes out, not sure what it is.... any thoughts on that.

Checked compression MAG: 130, CEN:131, PTO: 130

Drained fuel separator, and checked fuel filter for water, there is a little bit of water, should I remove fuel lines and use compressed air to finish removing water.....

Should I put seafoam in an engine, will it help my situation......

Can I get further thoughts from the GH super savvy folks............
    Dark fluid coming out around the loose spark plugs is probably oil. If you fogged it, then for sure it is oil.

If you have not yet sprayed fogging oil into the engine, why not?

Oil+water usually forms a milky gray goop, so no water spraying out the plug holes and not gray goop visible are good signs.

Future note; If you suspect water in an engine ever, take all the plugs out before you crank it over, not one at a time. You don't want to trap water in the cylinder head as the engine cranks.

If you think there may be water in the fuel lines or the carbs, clean it out.

Don't put Seafoam directly into the engine.

Compression seems good.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    If you suspect water is in the lines and made its way to the carbs, you should remove them and clean them thoroughly. That water can cause some proglems with rust and blockage of the passages.

Thread Information