Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Squirrely yamaha GPR1200

I just finished rebuilding a 2002 GPR1200 that is the squirrelyest ski I have ever ridden.I sure wish yamaha had spent more time on hull development than just on engine,I normally break my rebuilds in on trailer for first 30 min. before giving to a customer.THis one I have for a week and decided to ride.I have been sking,wakeboarding and sit down riding since before most of you were born,I'm fifty,Yet I just cant believe how dangerous a 1200 could be in newbie hands.It liked to have dumped me when I eased off throttle after a 64mph runI had trim up but front end duck hooked on me and IF I wasnt as strong upper body as I am ,We would have been seperated .This hull is as ugly handling as the old 1100 wave raiders(the 701 body with 1100 stuck in it)NOw I do like the new vx110 it is a nice ride but I wouldnt buy a GPR1200 if it was 1/2 price there must be some hull mods available???perhaps a ride plate would help,buy I stepped back on my seadoo gtx 951 and that was like going from a truck to a nice good handling sports car.JMHO>Marvin

I thought the GPR hull was like best hull ever? At least thats what It seems

+1
    Marvin obviously this ski has issues underneath, being the mechanic you are I am sure you will find them in no time at all. I can say that on my 02 ski at 76 mph the thing won't budge it is locked down best handling ski I ever owned.

+1
    probably almost got pitched due to a stock intake grate!

Quote Originally Posted by mrjetskey View Post
    I just finished rebuilding a 2002 GPR1200 that is the squirrelyest ski I have ever ridden.I sure wish yamaha had spent more time on hull development than just on engine,I normally break my rebuilds in on trailer for first 30 min. before giving to a customer.THis one I have for a week and decided to ride.I have been sking,wakeboarding and sit down riding since before most of you were born,I'm fifty,Yet I just cant believe how dangerous a 1200 could be in newbie hands.It liked to have dumped me when I eased off throttle after a 64mph runI had trim up but front end duck hooked on me and IF I wasnt as strong upper body as I am ,We would have been seperated .This hull is as ugly handling as the old 1100 wave raiders(the 701 body with 1100 stuck in it)NOw I do like the new vx110 it is a nice ride but I wouldnt buy a GPR1200 if it was 1/2 price there must be some hull mods available???perhaps a ride plate would help,buy I stepped back on my seadoo gtx 951 and that was like going from a truck to a nice good handling sports car.JMHO>Marvin
    Yes without the aftermarket parts that you must put on the gpr the handling sucks.. Don't know but sounds like you have the stoke intake grate in, Get that out of there and find a r&d 1200 grate and your already gonna be amazed how diffrent it rides.. Step the sponsons (front of sponson all the way up rear of sponson all the way down you can leave out the center bolt or ablong the hole so the center bolt will slide up and down freely). Try this if you haven't done this yet and let us know. I guess I should of asked this first, What have you done to the handling of this ski?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    +1

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    +1

With the proper set up the GPR hull can handle awesome.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    +1

With the proper set up the GPR hull can handle awesome.
    +1

SkiOnDaBrain
    I'd bet anything that ski has the stock intake grate on it. Last Summer my 01 GPR behaved the same way and I didn't know about the intake grate until reading on these forums. My ski handles 1000 times better with a new intake grate, stepped sponsons, and rideplate. Soon i'll be diving into the motor because i need more speed!

Do what these guys have told you and you'll find the GPR is the most stable handling high speed hull you have ever been on .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information