Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Help Please slt 700 wont start

this is my first time on hulk.
    i have bought a 1996 SLT 700 and it wont start. i have bought ne gaskets, a new batt, new spark plugs, and a new fuel guage. i have tried starting it and i wont turn over. i have taken the gas tank out and found some corroded hoses which i have ordered.oh and does anyone know where i am to put the water hose when starting out of water, i cant find it.once i get the tank back in ill try to start it. if anyone has any ideas please post is that would be great oh and sorry for sounding so newbie at this.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Download the 1992-1998 Service Manual, if you have not done so yet.

What do you mean it won't turn over?
    Does the starter motor spin?
    Does the electrical box click when you press the start button?

Does the engine actually crank and rotate the drive shaft, but not start running?

Ordered hoses?
    Which hoses?

Where are you located?

Take the time to search and read the older threads on here, even if they are not about the exact same model as you have.

Most Polaris with a domestic engine (painted red), are similar, especially the carburetted models. Engine sizes 700, 900, 1050, and 1200 are similar. Even though your engine only has two cylinders, the basics are the same with the three cylinder engines.

it wont start but the shaft spins as well as the starter. the electrical box does not "click" when i push the start button. there looks to be a reserve gas line missing so i went to napa and got some 1/4" gas line hose the same type it comes with. i am in spruce grove alberta canada. i have looked at the other threads and the similar ones say to check compression,check to see if it gets gas. it gets gas im pretty sure as i had to replace an o' ring in the gas pump because it was leaking, i dont know how to check compression but ill check the manual i downloaded. and thank youfor these tips

and could any one tell me where i would put a water hose when i want to start it out of water?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bossd View Post
    and could any one tell me where i would put a water hose when i want to start it out of water?
    This information is available in a number of other threads on here. Do take the time to search whenever you can, before posting.

If you do not have the flushing connector on the top of the engine, then you can disconnect the water inlet hose at the rear of the hull. Is is about 3/4" size. Install a garden hose fitting into the hose, screw in a garden shut-off valve, then connect it to your water faucet.

Do NOT start the water flow until the engine is actually running. When you are finished (MAX two minutes run time on the hose), turn the water off, burp the throttle to clear the exhaust water out, THEN stop the engine.

Engine on, THEN water on.
    Water OFF, THEN engine off.

Be sure to reconnect the inlet hose when you are finished, and tighten the clamp.

the inlet hose that i need to attach the garden hose to is it connected to the "u" shape hose about 2" in dia at the back of the hull, or the hose that is hooked directly to the fiberglass #1 or #2 (lower)

Spark, compression, fuel three main things to have a running engine. I would check to make sure you have spark first. If so put a little gas down the carbs and see if she'll start. Honestly I would worry about this first and cooling water second. You can run it for 30 seconds to 1 minute without cooling water, essentially just get it to start and run then deal with connecting water hose. If you can't get to run for 30 seconds and you have water flowing as soon as it fires up it may stall and water would be flowing for a little bit of time it takes you (if working alone) to get to the valve to shut it off. I was a water to engine fixated person thinking I had to get water to it immediately and flooded engine and the motor was never they same. Just a lesson I learned when I was newer than I am now. Oh course this is just my opinion.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bossd View Post
    the inlet hose that i need to attach the garden hose to is it connected to the "u" shape hose about 2" in dia at the back of the hull,
    That would be the main exhaust hose, leave it alone
    or the hose that is hooked directly to the fiberglass #1 or #2 (lower)
    #2 lower is the hose connection you want.
    If you look at the rear of the jet pump, you will see black plastic "tube" that runs from the nozzle back towards the front of the boat, through the pump mount.
    The hose you want is normally connected to the inside end of that black plastic tube, which normally sends pressurized water from the pump nozzle forward to cool the engine.

Next post has a photo of the same hose in my Virage TXi (different hull, but I think the hose is roughly the same).

BTW, it is OK to run the engine for a bit without the hose water, but a minute might be a bit much.
    Last edited by K447; 05-29-2008 at 10:00 PM.

+1
    Cooling hose inlet from jet pump, circled in red.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5240133b.JPG 
Views:	362 
Size:	436.2 KB 
ID:	75390  

thanx for the replies ill see if i cant get it running ill get back asap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information